OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Common Are Multiple Beards?

Started by Turkeytider, April 11, 2020, 04:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

I know that they're hardly unheard of, but just how common are they? I harvested a bird yesterday with 4 beards. Curious as to how many of us have killed one with two or more beards.

ManfromGreenSwamp

As someone who worked in the wildlife feild, checking in countless hundreds upon hundreds of hunters harvests ...it's not common.
I've never taken one, but have friends who have taken many, all from the same properties through the years. It's definitely a genetics thing.
Congratulations on your multiple bearded bird!
Post some pics if you get the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Turkeytider

Sorry guys, this should have been on the " General " forum. If a Mod sees it, please move it.

Greg Massey

KentuckyHeadhunter

Pretty common on our lease.  Already a 4 beard and a triple taken this year.  Two triples last year.  Several doubles. 1853 acres.  Might be rare in some places but not there. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Turkeytider

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 12, 2020, 10:36:30 AM
Pretty common on our lease.  Already a 4 beard and a triple taken this year.  Two triples last year.  Several doubles. 1853 acres.  Might be rare in some places but not there.

Now that's interesting. Genetic propensity in that population.

callmakerman

Not sure how common but have been lucky enough to take two over the years. One triple on state land and one double with 1 1/2" spurs a few years back on private land a mile away from the state land.

Hoot 000

I agree usually out of same area you kill one they will be more it is genetics.Have a friend killed one with seven beards killed one this year double beards from same woods

Hoot 000

fl panhandler

I have heard that if you have a bearded hen on the property you would have a better chance for multiple beards. I have no clue if that's true or not.
Rick