turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet disaster

Started by fl panhandler, April 07, 2020, 06:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fl panhandler

I have a wormy Chestnut convertible trumpet made by Alan Sentell. He made it for me in 2008. In removing in from my display case I hit the shelf above it and knocked it from my hand. I tried to grab it but only made it flip and land on its hen bone mouthpiece. It broke off fairly flush. I said some things that I'm glad no one was around to hear. I contacted Alan and he said he would fix it if I could locate another hen radius bone. We can't shoot hens here without a beard, but I have never seen one in the wild anyway. Are there any places to get a radius hen bone? That was a perfect sound for this trumpet and hoping to locate another. I have some pictures I could text someone that knows how to post them. I've been trying to post them with no luck. Wrong format or something.  JPEG instead of Jpg.
Thanks for y'all's help.
Rick

guesswho

Dang, hate the hear that.  But I'm sure someone here can hook you up with a hen bone.  Good luck.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Rzrbac

Hate to hear that. I've been wanting a hen wingbone for awhile to send to Mr. Buice. Seems they are thin, I've been told a snow goose bone is just as good. Something to think about if you can't find a hen bone.

savduck

Go in the fall hunting section and post up. Somebody is gonna have a hen bone.
Georgia Boy

fl panhandler

I've got a couple of Larry Gresser trumpets with snow goose bones. They sound good, but I'm hoping to bring it back to originality. That hen bone came from a friend that hit a hen with his car going to work.
Rick

fl panhandler

Thanks for the suggestion,Savduck. That a good idea.
Rick

2nd 100

Put out the word on local hunters and Mr Greenjeans ( Gamewarden ) as most hens seem to get hit during hunting season , and Mr Greenjeans is contacted alot about them laying beside the road . I usually acquire a couple sets every year by someone calling and telling me where they see them dead or stumbling upon them myself . ain't no need in them wasting away in the ditch ......

crow

Ouch, thats painful to look at, sorry to see that

just how many bad words do you know, I would have to learn a couple of new ones

fl panhandler

Crow,  They came out pretty quick and then I just stood there staring at it. It was not a good day. Lol
Rick

1iagobblergetter

Nice trumpet none the less. Worse case you could ask him to make a buffalo horn,etc mouthpiece since they are interchangeable. I'm sure you'll get it fixed up.
I had a boxcall that fell out of my safe when I opened it and it ended up with a small ding. Most people wouldn't notice,but damn that still makes me mad. 

Sir-diealot

Looks like you got somebody else to post them for you. Sorry I had gone AFK for a while and just downloaded them. Best of luck finding that hen bone.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

EZ

I think I can help ya out there. Check your PMs. That cool looking call needs a MP!