OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good numbers with 3in lead 5's and 6's??

Started by Longshanks, May 12, 2011, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

I have been shooting HTL shells for quite awhile and i am getting ready to start shooting my lead slinger Rem 870 with a Kicks .655.  I have Winchester (Black Box ) HV  1 3/4  5's and 6's and also Winchester (Grey Box) 1 7/8 5's and 6's.  What are some good numbers you guys are turning out there at 35 or 40yds?? This way i have something to compare to and will not try to squeeze something out of a gun thats not possible.  I use this gun guiding and most of the turkeys i shoot are inside 40yds so i guess for nostagic purposes and the fact that i have allot of lead shells in the cabinet i am going to the lead slinger. :fud:

R AJ

You should see anything from 120s -140s and once it is 120 and pretty well covered you are golden. I am not going to start throwing out ridiculously high numbers and we shouldn't get that caught up in overkill at 40 yards.
My bet is on the Win HV 1 3/4 #6s at 40 in the 655.

SumToy

The 3-2-5 red supper x gave us 200 in a 10 at 30.  The shell will work good in 650 to 660.  It will be a 40 yard gun. :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Longshanks

Quote from: SumToy on May 12, 2011, 09:14:55 PM
The 3-2-5 red supper x gave us 200 in a 10 at 30.  The shell will work good in 650 to 660.  It will be a 40 yard gun. :anim_25:

That is amazing numbers with 5's.  Are those Federal shells or Winchester??

SumToy

Winchester  they are the next step above the one you talk about.  I have saw the ones you talk about put big numbers up also.  I just dont remember.  I will look back and see what I have.   This is the shell you talking about with a 650 I think.  I will look back to see.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Longshanks

SumToy

This is the double x black box red shell.  3-2-5.  If you going to shoot lead try this one.  in 5's or 6's

[attachment deleted by admin]

surehuntsalot

Quote from: SumToy on May 12, 2011, 09:14:55 PM

those are some of the best lead shells out there
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

But he didn't mention having the 3-2-x loads . Let's see.

The 3-2-6 was better in a 665 for  :anim_25:me.

Longshanks

Yeah im hoping to get by with the lead ammo that i have and not buy anymore. I have allot of lead in 1 7/8  6's,  1 7/8  5's, 1 3/4  6's, 1 3/4  5's.  Would have to order 3-2-x shells as they dont sell those around here.  Prefer to shoot 6's, there have always been allot less gaps in the pattern. 

BrowningGuy88

I have all the assortment the original poster has, but add in #4's in both.

Dawei is right about #4's shooting better in some guns, my Model 12 shoots within 10 pellets on target with 4, 5, or 6 shot.

Just try what you have, you will kill turkeys to 35 easy with most any shell. For numbers, in my Model 12 30" Full and 2 3/4"-1 1/2-6 I average 110 at 38 yards taped in a 10" circle. With my 1300 22" NWTF with .665, I average about 122-125 with 3-1 3/4-6 at a taped 40 yards. I switched to Hevi this year in the 1300 and only went up to about 180 in a 10".

Good luck,
Daman

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteYou should see anything from 120s -140s

This is not a given.  If you do this, you have done very well.

SumToy

I did some last year with the 6's.  We never did get 150 like we was going for.  Now it was in the 120's the lowest.  I think you should see that easy.  Now it will take a smaller choke to get that. 

R AJ

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on May 13, 2011, 01:01:08 PM
QuoteYou should see anything from 120s -140s

This is not a given.  If you do this, you have done very well.

He asked about 35 and 40 yard patterns. If I get a 35 yard shot with that combo and don't get between 120-140 I will be shocked.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

125+ is easily doable at 35 Yards with 2 Ounces of Lead#6's.

40 Yards is much more challenging.  Your gun has to really like the choke and shell combo being used.  125 is not a given at 40.