turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

need help with 2 things

Started by mdgobbler, May 12, 2011, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdgobbler

ok two things.. i had two nice toms this morning about 25 yards away from me but the only problem is that there was a bunch of brush between them and I. i could still see them through it but i was not sure about taking the shot through it. i deer hunting in me saying " if you dont feel comfortable dont take the shot" is this true with turkeys or could my shot make it through the brush and kill the bird? also i got some decoys from gander mountain and they were in a box. they are flexible but i just cant seem to get them from having hard edges and flat spots any tips for that? 

thanks
-mdgobbler-

drenalinld

Heavy brush can kill a shotgun pattern. You made a good choice.

sugarray

#1 - you weren't comfortable with the shot so you didn't take it. RIGHT CHOICE!!

#2 - you can set them up and put them in the hot shower or out in the direct sunlight.  this can help.  I have a decoy I really like that is a little more rigid rubber, she always seems to have a dent in her.  I have been thinking of stuffing her with newspaper or foam or something and then out in the sun or shower.  Maybe when you get it the way you want you can stick it in the freezer?  May keep its shape when folded after this.

Roost Wrecker

I have always heard you cant kill them if u dont shoot. I missed one shooting through a hanging down hemlock limb at 30 yds with a 10 ga. but had a friend that killed one through brush two weeks ago at 25 yds. But if u dont feel comfortable dont shoot shells are too high to waste.

You can try a hair dryer on your decoy that is what I use on my feather flex, Hs strut sally, and B mobile it works.

keyser12ga

It's a tough decision to make but you did good!

As for the decoys, I'm not convinced turkeys care what they look like.  I bought a heat gun from harbor freight for like $12 that I used with good effect, but a blow dryer works too. 

CASH

Never take a shot that you're not comfortable with. Good job.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

TauntoHawk

my only misses are when i try and tread through brush.. no longer take that shot

hot water works for mine
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CallMaker

I think you made the right choice.  If you're not comfortable with the shot ; don't shoot. 

A bathtub with hot water or a hair dryer may help your decs....I use a hair dryer on my B-Mobile, Jake and Hens.
Steven

WildTigerTrout

When I started turkey hunting a friend gave me some advice. He told me NEVER try to kill a Turkey through ANY kind of obstruction. It will blow your pattern. IMO you made they ONLY choice.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!