OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slate preference; Red, Green, or Gray

Started by Tetelestai, April 01, 2020, 10:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetelestai

I've never had a red or green slate, but was wondering if you have a preference and if so, why? And what is your wood preference for pot with slate?

Charlie 51

I prefer green over red..the red slate is a harder slate..green is easier for me to run and a good green will make any good turkey sounds..if I had a choice of wood it is Osage..Hanks makes a mean one..so does Paul Hicks..And so does Remenaric..Get a green slate and a Jeff striker or two and kill birds..

Sir-diealot

I like them all, but would also say I prefer green, then red, then black. I hope to get a purple slate by next season.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

PALongspur

Call me old school but I'm still partial to good old grey slate.

Greg Massey

I look at what i care in the wood as being different from what other hunters will be carrying , so i care red slate , just about everyone will have the old gray slate.. so if i were you i would get either red or green slate .

Tom007

Agreed, the green has a great sound, not carried as much. It's starting to catch on though....
"Solo hunter"

StruttinGobbler3

I've used gray, green, and red. Personally I prefer the green the most, then gray. Green is like gray with more bite and more rasp, just as easy to play and will get very soft, but if you crank on it green is louder than gray. Gray is good for soft talking and a good clean and clear sound, much like a younger hen. Both have their uses in different situations. For me, I personally don't care for the red. It's not as forgiving, and I'd pull out a good glass or crystal before using the red. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Tetelestai

Just placed an order for a green in Osage from Hank's. Will try it out next weekend if the Good Lord is willing. Thanks for the insight.

wchadw

i have them all and i would have to say i prefer the green.  i have some excellent pots of all but the green seem to sound best to my ears and the turkeys respond

Tom Dooley

Quote from: Tetelestai on April 02, 2020, 11:27:36 AM
Just placed an order for a green in Osage from Hank's. Will try it out next weekend if the Good Lord is willing. Thanks for the insight.

I think you will like this call. I have owned several green slates from different call makers and the Hanks osage is the only one I still have.

Terry

I recently acquired a Red slate from Buster and I'm really growing to like it. I find it's still pretty forgiving if you don't press too hard on our striker. It's got a great glass sound but without the "harsh" bark glass has if that makes sense. Not sure if thats the best way to explain it

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Loyalist84

I prefer the traditional grey slate in a cedar pot, but I also like a cleaner sound without too much rasp and prefer to use softer calling - the striker choice really does make a lot of difference, though. I haven't tried green slate, but I bought my dad a red slate from Nathan Taylor and I like it quite a bit - definitely harder, higher and more nasal than grey, but more rasp and just as easy to play in my opinion.

Buckrub

I'd have to say that I prefer RED over green or gray. I'm interested in getting a purple next. I heard a soundbite of a purple and it sounded terrific to my ear !!!

wchadw

Quote from: wchadw on April 02, 2020, 11:37:45 AM
i have them all and i would have to say i prefer the green.  i have some excellent pots of all but the green seem to sound best to my ears and the turkeys respond
green sounds best to me in cedar and walnut pots

BTH

Gray/Black is my favorite of the 3. Very versatile depending on the soundboard and solid wood vs. laminated wood pot. 

Green is a very close 2nd, great go between for crystal pot and gray/black slate pot IMO. 
Phil 4:13