turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can you still Run & Gun in the rain?

Started by Mossberg90MN, April 01, 2020, 09:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg90MN

Looks like I might be dealing with a rainy day for my opener. Can you still run and gun on rainy days? Hitting the ridges and calling... or do you have to take the back seat and sit out on a field edge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

You got room to roam, take the fight to them. Just another day in the turkey woods.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Paulmyr

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Marc

I purchased a large camouflage umbrella...  It works great for turkey hunting, and with a good sling, you can cover some ground and not get too wet (especially with good rain gear).

I have found that birds generally are not as vocal in the rain, and I am more likely to "spot-hop" and stay in good locations for longer periods, and hope for that silent horney tom....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tlh2865

Would seem like too good a good way to spook birds to me, and not worth the risk. Pure run and gun looking to strike a bird with calling is gonna be way less successful when the birds are in too miserable of weather to gobble. I'd hang tight to my spot(s) for longer periods waiting on a bird that might be working silent, but If you get a break in the rain they might get fired up and you'd be back in the mobile business.

DBuck90

Depends on how hard is it raining and how fired up he is I have killed several in the rain
That gobbled just like it was 70 degrees and sunny if you are going to be in the woods just
Move slower and try to work yourself towards a field edge you have nothing to lose but a
Lot of knowledge you can gain to help you in future hunts can't kill em sitting on the couch
Good luck this spring

GobbleNut

Quote from: Marc on April 01, 2020, 11:52:09 PM
I purchased a large camouflage umbrella... 

The umbrella is a great idea, Marc.  I've got a large umbrella,...one used for a patio table,...that I camouflaged myself, not for rain so much as for getting out of the NM heat when needed.  It would be great for getting out of the rain,...if we ever had any in New Mexico during turkey season.  ...I may try to remember it for future out-of-state trips where it does rain on occasion. 

What we need in NM is some contraption for stopping the wind!  :)

Mossberg90MN

Thanks for all the input. I actually do have a camo umbrella. It mounts to a tree. I think I may just use that and bounce around slowly, field edge to field edge. And if I get a break In the weather try and make a move on it.

g8rvet

Be ready too for when the weather clears.  I have killed a few on rainy days that started gobbling like crazy shortly after the skies cleared.  When it is rainy, I head to fields.  But be ready to get mobile and hostile if it breaks up.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Marc

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 02, 2020, 11:13:17 AM
Thanks for all the input. I actually do have a camo umbrella. It mounts to a tree. I think I may just use that and bounce around slowly, field edge to field edge. And if I get a break In the weather try and make a move on it.

I believe mine is a 60" standard.  I drilled a hole in the bottom, and use a stake (about 2.5-3 feet) with a stop on it.  I can walk with my umbrella, and when I stop, I drive the stake into the ground and use it to hold up the umbrella just over my head.

I have hunted some light rains that have been very productive, and some driving rains which were not so productive, but at least I stayed dry (as did my gun).

I have also used that umbrella as a pseudo-blind to hide the kids when I take them hunting with me, and have used it to keep the dog in the shade while dove hunting.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Mossberg90MN

StruttinGobbler3

Personally I've never heard Easterns do much gobbling in the rain. Even on a bluebird day they don't gobble much anyway after the first hour of daylight. Usually if you hear a bird on up in the morning here, he's committed most of the time and coming hard. What I've found is that in a light rain, and also soon after that rain, they will hit the fields. Seem to prefer fields with some green, whether that's wheat cover crop or last deer seasons food plots. Running and gunning would be counterproductive and spook birds on a rainy day here. Your best bet is to brush yourself in well a few yards back in the woods next to a good green field, and do some light soft calling every so often. Most likely he will come in silent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Loyalist84

You certainly can, and I've seen plenty of birds killed in an all-day drizzle, but I try not to get caught up in a spring thunderstorm while hiking after birds - not my cup of tea if there are plenty of bluebird days left in the season.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on April 02, 2020, 08:52:43 PM
Personally I've never heard Easterns do much gobbling in the rain. Even on a bluebird day they don't gobble much anyway after the first hour of daylight. Usually if you hear a bird on up in the morning here, he's committed most of the time and coming hard. What I've found is that in a light rain, and also soon after that rain, they will hit the fields. Seem to prefer fields with some green, whether that's wheat cover crop or last deer seasons food plots. Running and gunning would be counterproductive and spook birds on a rainy day here. Your best bet is to brush yourself in well a few yards back in the woods next to a good green field, and do some light soft calling every so often. Most likely he will come in silent.

Yea that might be my plan with a Decoy. Just kinda sit for a couple hours and then move. Do this while it's raining.

I downloaded a different weather app and it seems it's just gonna be a light rain in the PM.

Hopefully it gives me enough time to help turn the odds in my favor.

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 02, 2020, 10:11:52 PM
Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on April 02, 2020, 08:52:43 PM

Yea that might be my plan with a Decoy. Just kinda sit for a couple hours and then move. Do this while it's raining.

I downloaded a different weather app and it seems it's just gonna be a light rain in the PM.

Hopefully it gives me enough time to help turn the odds in my favor.

I think that's your best bet. Find a nice dark spot a few yards into the woods with some good brush behind you to break up your outline. I carry a pair of pruning shears so I can snip off several leafy branches and stick them all around me for concealment. Pop your decoy out about 15 yards away from you and do a little light calling. This setup has been the death of many gobblers.

John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion