OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Has anyone heard of...

Started by barry, May 12, 2011, 01:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

...using copper or aluminun in a push pin call?
Being paralyzed the only friction call I can work with some degree of success is a push pin call so I was just wondering if any of you ever heard of someone using other surfaces besides wood in one of these calls.
Do any of you make, or know a callmaker that makes, push pin calls?
If so I would be interested in getting one with one of these surfaces.
Barry

pappy

Barry, funny you would ask this, I am working on a design for a push pin with different internals to utilize metal striking surfaces !  I started on one last month, but still in the works as you just don't have a lot of room to work with, this causes a problem with the friction reverbing against the surface as the distance between the striking surface and the pin striker is so close. As soon as I can get one put together you will be my first "test dummy".......pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

otis

shawn williams  treat mountain  calls he makes one with slate i use ever year
great call

otis

barry

Quote from: pappy on May 12, 2011, 06:20:10 PM
Barry, funny you would ask this, I am working on a design for a push pin with different internals to utilize metal striking surfaces !  I started on one last month, but still in the works as you just don't have a lot of room to work with, this causes a problem with the friction reverbing against the surface as the distance between the striking surface and the pin striker is so close. As soon as I can get one put together you will be my first "test dummy".......pappy

Sounds good to me pappy!

drenalinld

I have one somewhere that has a wooden striker with a thin piece of aluminum over the wooden sliding call surface. I will try to find it and let you know the brand and make.
I bet pappy's will be much better though.

Old Gobbler

Barry ,

I guess the term "Push" in push pin call has kind of stuck , given that most examples of that call are best utilized with torquing the dowel and actually pulling it for yelps - You would be able to accomplish this easy by somehow if you can, strapping, zip-tie  the call to a solid object like your leg, side of a gun etc... you should be able to do this with no problems -

Clucks are best done by pushing the dowel with slight pressure from another finger   

Ive made a few with copper and allum. plus various other surfaces and have had good results , I only make calls for personal use , I have made my own for 20 plus years- I will not show pictures of them , or sell/give/show/discuss them  to anyone ever -

Copper has been done before by Knight and Hale they make a small circular green one that is available for cheap and it is adjustable in tone, I think the Quaker Boy Easy Yelper sounds better  {not  the deluxe walnut model, or waterproof , or hurricane} the plane old QB easy yelper , you have to go through 10 and you will find 8 that sound good , and 1 or 2 that are amazing -  I have no problem calling in and killing pressured gobblers with a tuned push pin , no problems....

the Primos 209 pushpins have a synthetic/ glass fabrication with a wood bottom and peg , they sound too deep to pass for a hen , but they are without a doubt the single best gobbler fighting pins I have ever tried

any call that is made of wood is susceptible to moisture and pushpins are no exception , keep them in ziplock bags and never lay them on the ground while hunting , it will change the tone of the call right away -plenty of good chalk must be carried , and keep that too in a moisture resistant container , if you don't you will be rubbing damp chalk on your calls - chalk, chalk , chalk use plenty and grind it into the peg and paddle -the right kind of course

I recommend you carry several push pins on you while hunting cause these types of calls change tone and can go dead for the morning without warning

Best Regards-- Shannon

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Ozark Ridge Runner

Shannon, I'm with you on the Easy Yelper.  Many of them aren't worth the wood their made of, but you will find one every now and again that if flat out alive.  When I first became aware of them about 22 or 23 years ago they came in a little black box that you could test the sound of the call and choose a good one.  I must have tested nearly 100 of them and found 2 that were pure magic.  I have used one of those to the point that it's nearly black from being carried while hunting.  It's called in at least 150 gobblers.  I'd rather loose my shotgun than that call.

barry

Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 13, 2011, 08:52:35 PM
Barry ,

I guess the term "Push" in push pin call has kind of stuck , given that most examples of that call are best utilized with torquing the dowel and actually pulling it for yelps - You would be able to accomplish this easy by somehow if you can, strapping, zip-tie  the call to a solid object like your leg, side of a gun etc... you should be able to do this with no problems -

I can attach the call to my gunrest

I think the Quaker Boy Easy Yelper sounds better 

I have a good one of these, it belonged to Ernie Callandrelli. Friend of mine guided with him in New York at Turkey Trot Acres and he brought it to me.

Best Regards-- Shannon

Old Gobbler

Quote from: barry on May 14, 2011, 11:28:01 AM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 13, 2011, 08:52:35 PM
Barry ,

I can attach the call to my gunrest

I think the Quaker Boy Easy Yelper sounds better 

I have a good one of these, it belonged to Ernie Callandrelli. Friend of mine guided with him in New York at Turkey Trot Acres and he brought it to me.

Best Regards-- Shannon

Barry ,I have some of these and you should try this one too - "keowee" call it is actually more like a lynch jet slate in sound and construction - the peg is in the dowel apparatus and the bottom is slate with a thin sound chamber underneath - one finger " push" operation, it makes good soft yelps -   

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodList.asp?d=1051

--Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

barry

Barry ,I have some of these and you should try this one too - "keowee" call it is actually more like a lynch jet slate in sound and construction - the peg is in the dowel apparatus and the bottom is slate with a thin sound chamber underneath - one finger " push" operation, it makes good soft yelps -   

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodList.asp?d=1051

--Shannon
[/quote]

I have one of them as well.
Thanks
Barry

drenalinld

I found a Camp push pin call in my arsenal that has a slate striking surface. It's a pretty good sounding call to me, but I'm no that skilled with a push pin. I don't know if you know of Doug Camp but he was a pretty good call maker that passed away a few years ago. I still have the box it came in. If you have interest in this push pin, I'm sure we could work out something.

TRKYHTR

I might be interested in that push pin. How much you want for it?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

drenalinld

Quote from: TRKYHTR on May 16, 2011, 12:34:07 AM

TRKYHTR

I don't want to sell it, but if Barry is not interested we might work out a trade?

ncturkey

Barry here is another push-pin call I like alot. Not sure of the internals. It is made by AWAY Hunting Products. It is called Turkey Trooper 2000 Deluxe. Here is a link too it. http://www.awayhunting.com/products/1510

TRKYHTR

Quote from: drenalinld on May 16, 2011, 07:00:50 AM
Quote from: TRKYHTR on May 16, 2011, 12:34:07 AM

TRKYHTR

I don't want to sell it, but if Barry is not interested we might work out a trade?

If Barry don't want it I'll trade you something for it. Just let me know. Thanks,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck