turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester XR'=Junk??

Started by gatrapper, May 12, 2011, 11:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joker

Winchester XRHD's in 5's or 6's at 1300+fps at 30yds!!!! If he moved from the spot you missed. Plan and simple.

squid

Easy penetration test is to take 2 soup cans.  Tin ones not aluminum.   Empty them, stack them one on top of the other and duct tape them together.   This will give a close approximation to the size of the head and neck.

Shoot it at thirty yards, you should get majority of the pellets passing through both sides.   That will prove that penetration is not a factor.

Dissecting the head / neck is also something else that helps.  Surprising how many holes you cannot see until you peel the skin off a gobblers head.   Amount of blood doesn't always mean a lot of pellets hit the noggin.

TWOWITHONE

GATRAPPER when you said the next afternoon you shot a gobbler at 45yds and swiss cheesed his face he took a strool out of the woods with you I assume.Ive shot a few gobblers with Winnies HV/ER #6 shot and never had any problems.

MOSPURS

GATRAPPER
are you goofin on everybody maybe

boyhowdy

right now I'm shooting hevi 13 for turkeys - however I have shot Winchester XR's before, I've shot a lotta shells in my life, as to my knowledge I have never shot a Winchester shotshell or a shotshell with Winchester components that I would consider to be junk. Remington shotshells -- now thats another story

PALongspur

The bird I pole-axed at 43 yards yesterday was very, very dead thanks to 2 oz of XRHD 6s.

Yeah they're junk..... :you_rock:

GunRunner

When I bought an Indian Creek Choke for my Browning about 4 years ago, I picked up a few rounds of every type of 3" turkey loads that I could find from my buddies  so I could determine the best ammo pattern. In some cases I bought whole boxes.

I went to the range and spent the afternoon shooting over 20  3" rounds back to back in my BPS pump. I shot so many I got nauseated. But what I found was the Win XR, hands down, gave me the best most consistent pattern of them all. And since, I have laid down a gobbler at 53 yards. Win XR has served me well.

And the worst pattern for my gun and choke....Hevi-Shot.

GunRunner
:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Mild Bill

Quote from: boyhowdy on May 14, 2011, 07:52:03 AM
I have never shot a Winchester shotshell or a shotshell with Winchester components that I would consider to be junk. Remington shotshells -- now thats another story

I have to fully agree with that statement...
You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Mild Bill on May 15, 2011, 11:01:00 AM
Quote from: boyhowdy on May 14, 2011, 07:52:03 AM
I have never shot a Winchester shotshell or a shotshell with Winchester components that I would consider to be junk. Remington shotshells -- now thats another story

I have to fully agree with that statement...

+1000
it's not the harvest,it's the chase