OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ported vs non ported

Started by Rambo93, March 29, 2020, 07:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo93

I have a mossberg 500 youth. 20 gauge. I'm going to be shooting tss 7 and 9 shot. Am I better off with Indian creek ported choke or Carlson tss non ported. I've read a lot of things say porting makes no difference. Both are .555 constriction. Does anyone know what the factory xfull mossberg choke is? I found 1 thing saying .585

Rambo93

Ok scratch the Indian creek. Can't find one anywhere. I'm looking for a good hunting pattern with capabilities to kill at 50 yards in case of yardage misjudge. Would I be better with 555 or 568 constriction. Generally speaking. I'm trying to set a gun up quick and cheap for this season then monkey in off season.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Rambo93 on March 29, 2020, 10:49:57 PM
Ok scratch the Indian creek. Can't find one anywhere. I'm looking for a good hunting pattern with capabilities to kill at 50 yards in case of yardage misjudge. Would I be better with 555 or 568 constriction. Generally speaking. I'm trying to set a gun up quick and cheap for this season then monkey in off season.

Yes, probably difficult to find an IC this close to season. Might try a Carlsons in 555. I use a .555 and it patterns very well but mine is an IC. I have used a Kicks Gobbling Thunder as well with good results. Finally I use a Pattern master with number #4 TSS with extemely good patterns. I have also shot #6 lead through the Pattern Master with good results. I have always used ported chokes -seem to work fine for me. No kbnowledge on the mossburg x-full is however I would pattern that choke to start.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

BINK McCARTY