turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wooden striker dowels?

Started by Houndstooth Game Calls, May 11, 2011, 06:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndstooth Game Calls

Can anyone recommend where I can get different type wooden dowels as in species of wood that are of good quality? Also has anyone ever ordered from Cincinnati Dowel curious what has to be said about there dowels.

Thanks
Lyle

Last Strut Calls

I know brookside game calls has a good selection of dowels and lots of different woods too!

Houndstooth Game Calls

Thanks but I am more or less looking for a dowel company to buy it straight from,  I have ordered from Brookside and they are good people and I may end up doing that also!

Lyle

Roost Wrecker

I would reccomend brookside just dont order during season it may take a while to get what u need. They have alot of different ones to choose from. I usually run padauk, purple heart, diamond wood, and hickory. Just depends on what surface u are playing on and sound u want. Your top can make a difference in sound as well because the weight can be different. Just my opinion.

Roost Wrecker

U can try custom sawing as well they are located here in Ky.

Houndstooth Game Calls

Hey roost wrecker i am finding that out about Brookside the hard way lol he must be wrapped up! Agreed on the different flavors different sounds that is and thanks for the suggestions that you like I will give them a try! I will say this I ordered some surfaces and sound boards from grassy creek and it was here in a blink of the eye so thanks to Grassy Creek!

Lyle

Roost Wrecker

Houndstooth thanks for the reply. Joe is a great guy and good to deal with he just got to big to fast. He tries to do so much and dont have alot of help but he has a great business.

Roost Wrecker

Daryl there prices seem to be really reasonable. Do you order from there?

Houndstooth Game Calls

@roost wrecker I see on the dowels on demand the fellow is not taking any orders due to health problems did you find a price list somewhere on this dowel place?

Roost Wrecker

Yeah they were in a grid sold by lineal foot

Houndstooth Game Calls

@daryl the wood you have gotten are the dowels slick looking or is it kindy grainy looking I got some hickory strikers from someone and they were real soft as in grainy looking on the dowel. I guess I am trying to ask are they smooth as if they had been turned? The hickory striker dowels I got were worthless they real poor quality in wood and sound!

Houndstooth Game Calls

I realy think the hickory was from young hickory and it was a softer material more of a open grain younger tree than a mature hickory! Its all about the growthrings in a tree!

lightsoutcalls

Why not just turn your own stikers?  I have even turned a few 2 piece strikers by turning my own dowels using a chuck and tailstop.  I much prefer the look of a single piece turned striker with a custom call.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Houndstooth Game Calls

I am planning on doing some custom strikers but for now I am gonna put a good 2 peice striker with the call for now. I am planning on putting these calls in retail stores and I have had good custom strikers and I have had good dowel strikers that would hold their own with the custom striker.. Lights out I compliment you on your work great looking calls no doubt!!
Lyle