OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Copper vs Aluminum

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 11, 2011, 04:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

What are the pros and cons of each?  I would like to get one or the other and want to hear from you which you prefer.  I did have a production made alum call and liked it but lost it when jumping up and helping my wife last year with her bird.  I did not realize I lost it until I got home and this spring could not find it. 

Cut*N*Run

I think aluminum makes an all around better call, but the yelps and cutts on copper sound so darn good. The soft talk on an aluminum is pretty much perfect. They are close on the aggressive stuff, but I think I can play copper a little more consistently (aka- less screw ups).

At this point, I couldn't choose between the two. Maybe aluminum because I've gotten more birds fired up with it. Something about the frequency must just make their heads want to explode.

My thoughts anyway...

bowhunter84

personally i like copper better. i think it is just an all around better calling surface. thats just my opinion.

savduck

I like a good aluminum, they are hard to beat for making all the turkey sounds. I had an old preston pittman copper pot years back. Dont care much for it. Havnt tried a nice custom one like the fellas been making on here. They may just sing.
Georgia Boy

woodwzrd

I have never messed with copper. From what I am told they either sound great or they don't. There is no in between.

I have made several aluminum calls and have been very pleased with every one of them. I finally got to hang on to the last one I made just before season started here so I could carry one with me this year.

TauntoHawk

I would like one of each for next season
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mmusso

I used both this year a pretty good bit, and I prefer the aluminum over the copper. It is a little easier to play for me, but both make great sounds from loud cutting to soft clucking/purring. You really can't go wrong with either.

Hillbilly280

I have been making copper calls for years and they are hard to beat.Alum sounds good to tho.

Bobby
VANOVER GAME CALLS

decoykrvr

When I asked Preston Pittman why he discontinued his copper call years ago, he told me he couldn't sell them cause most folks didn't know how to run a copper surface.  An aluminium surface is more "forgiving" relative to technique, but I never hunt without a copper call in my vest due to the turkey call/sound repertoire which you can get from copper.  This year I added a titanium call from Pappy, which is a whole new ball game, to my vest.  Interestingly, there are days they won't respond to a metal surface at all, but go wild to my "old" Cody World Class slate which I bought for the exorbitant sum of $65.00 in 1993.  When I told my wife that I wouldn't take $500 for that call which has talked to hundreds of turkeys, she said, "Well I guess you won't mind when I sell it for $1 at the yard sale when you're gone."  The woman is killing me with her "mind games".

KryptoniteKills

I have made a lot of both types of calls and I think the copper surface produces the most realistic turkey sound. I think the aluminum can get more volume and higher pitch. Both are great surfaces and either will call a bird on any given day. The only thing with copper is that it can be a bit more difficult to play properly...especially when your heart is beating out of your chest.

moonman

Love my Lights Out  aluminum call.Best sounding call I've used in the woods.
Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

M,Yingling

Me personaly  plain aluminum  is one of the easyest calls to play and get good turkey sounds from ,,copper is just in a class  of its own on the sound , but good
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey