turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP

Started by LUCKYS, May 11, 2011, 02:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LUCKYS

LET ME START BY SAYING IM NEW TO TURKEY HUNTING, LIMITED EXPERINCE. IVE ONLY KILLED 2 BIRDS ONE HEN AND ONE TOM IN SIX YEARS OF TURKEY HUNTING.
MY PROBLEM THIS YEAR IS THAT I HAD 4 GOBBLERS TREED WICH SOUNDED LIKE THEY WERE ALL CLOSE WITH THE FARTHEREST ONE SOUNDING LIKE 150 TO 200 YRDS AWAY. I HEAR THEM GOOD TO 7AM THEN THEY SHUT UP. AND MOVE UP THE MOUNTAIN, NEVER HEARING THEM AGAIGN TILL THE NEXT DAY.
I SET UP ALIITLE CLOSER WHICH I THINK IS AROUND A 100 YRDS. THIS TIME I TRY SOME SOFT TREE YELPS. THEY RESPOND. SO I STOP CALLING FOR ABOUT 5 MIN. THEN I HERE A HEN FLY DOWN CACKLE. I HERE THE GOBBLERS AGAIN. SO I DO A FLYDOWN CACKLE. AND ADD SOME YELPS AND PURRS. THEN SOP CALLING FOR ABOUT 15 MIN. LET OUT SOME MORE YELPS WITH CUTTING. HAVE SOME GOBBLES BUT NOT CUTTING OFF MY CALLING. SO I WAIT ALIITLE AND DO SOME PURRS HAVE SLOW REPONSE WAIT ABOUT 5MIN DO SOME HEN HELPS AND CUTTS ONLY ONE BIRD RESPONDS.DO ANOTHER SERIES ONES GOBBLING DO ANOTHER AND NOTHING NOTHING ELSE HEARD FOR ABOUT 15 TO 20 MIN.HES MOVING AWAY.
AM I CALLING TO MUCH, DO THE WRONG SOUNDS, SET UP TO FAR FROM THE ROOST OR ARE THEY WITH HENS ALREADY? ITS MID MAY IS IT TO LATE IN THE SEASON? PLEASE SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO TO BAG ONE OF THOSE BIRDS.IDE LOVE TO BE ABLE TO ADD ANOTHER TAIL TO THE WALL. THANKS

wisconsinteacher

It sounds like they have hens with them.  If you know they are going up the hill, get up there before they start to gobble in the morning and get set up where they want to go.  From there you can try calling a little or sit tight and watch so you can really pin point them for the next day.  One other thing, go back a few hours later and try it.  Maybe the hens will be gone by then and the tom will want to play.  Keep at it and you will get a shot.

gunnerj

Toms are henned up. Either get in front of them or wait for them to get done and get lonely. That can take a while. GOOD LUCK!

LUCKYS

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS. THE PROPERTY IN ONLY 85 ACRES SO ONCE THEY PASS THE LINE I CANT CHASE EM ANYMORE. BUT WILL TRY TO GET IN FRONT OF EM. GOTTA WAIT TWO WEEKS TILL IM OF WORK AGAIN TO GO HUNT EM .

LUCKYS

NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN!!!!  :z-winnersmiley:

mmusso

I'd get there extra early and SLOWLY make my way around them if at all possible and use the dark to your advantage. I would maybe tree yelp once after he gobbles a few times to let him know you're there, then shut up and get ready...  :anim_25:

Rockhound

Quote from: JohnDoe on May 12, 2011, 10:38:02 AM
Get a new job that lets you hunt them more. Then go get in front of them. ;) ;) :happy0064: :happy0064:
Good Luck

John
:agreed: