Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Dusting bowls, hunt em like a scrape ?

Started by Uncle Bucky, May 11, 2011, 07:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Bucky

found several dusting bowls and set up a game cam, anyone hunt them with any luck ?

CASH

I've never heard of turkeys using the same dust bowl over and over.  I know the ones at my club are random.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Spring Creek Calls

IT WOULD BE A LOT LIKE DEER HUNTING, SIT AND WAIT. I JUST CAN'T DO IT.  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

stinkpickle

I haven't hunted any place that has had dust on it for years...only mud puddles.   :laugh:

Footballer

I def wouldn't sit and hunt over them. However, I would keep these areas in mind when runnin and gunnin as this could be a good spot to strike a gobbler late in the morning.

Nimrodmar10

They are a pretty good place to find birds noonin. On warm days the turkeys don't move much in the heat of the day. They'll find a cool shady spot to spend the hot hours in. Most of the time they'll do a little dusting while they're hanging around a spot.
Sometimes I'll set up in range of one of these dusting areas while I'm eating lunch. You've gotta set somewhere. Why not near a dusting area? And in my area they use the same dusting areas day after day and year after year. The trick is figuring which one they're using today.

dirt road ninja

put a trail camara on it. might learn something. we turkey hunters really dont use them enough. I would like to get a plot watcher for next spring.

WyoHunter

Quote from: dirt road ninja on June 24, 2011, 09:44:28 PM
put a trail camara on it. might learn something. we turkey hunters really dont use them enough. I would like to get a plot watcher for next spring.
Good idea!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

FullChoke

I've only seen hens in dusting bowls. She may bring a gobbler with her to watch her take a bath.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

stone road turkey calls

love dust bowls, there like scrapes. and yes they reuse them how do you think they get so deep.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call