OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 ga recoil

Started by Old Timer, March 03, 2020, 05:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

Considering 20 gauge in the future. I only shoot big boomers 12ga. Rem 1100, Rem 870, Mossberg 835, Beretta. I know 20 gauges are lighter. Recoil difference? Never owned one. Most likely will be semi.Thanks

Jroddc

Definite noticeable recoil difference

g8rvet

I had a Benelli Nova 12g.  I had some neck issues and wanted less recoil (not for turkey hunting, it is just one shot), but for sighting in every year.  I bought an SA-459, my first and only semi.  It shoots so lightweight it is unreal.  A pleasure to shoot.  I also hunt a lot of very thick creek bottoms and it is so nice to have a small, compact gun to get through the thick briars and vines on the way in to the creek bottoms.  An A+ for me.  My brother watched me carry it and saw me kill several birds and he has got the yellow shell bug now.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

2eagles

Until this last season, I've used a lot of 3 1/2 loads for geese but now only shoot 3" out of my Browning Silver semi-auto. I have never had issues with recoil, but have gotten older, wiser and did have neck surgery two years ago. So, I'm setting up a Remington compact pump in 20 gauge. Honestly, I am surprised how much recoil I feel out of that little stinker. It's not bad, just more than I expected.

Turkeyfever

If you have shot a Mossberg 835, this will be a huge difference. A 20 gauge semi auto has very little recoil! You will enjoy the lighter weight and less recoil!

wvnut3

I too went 20 gauge 4 years ago. I leave my 12 gauge in the safe . I love my weatherby sa-459 it is a pleasure to shoot. Lee 

Spurs Up

This recoil calculator takes out most of the guesswork. The short of it is gun weight and payload matter, irrespective of gauge whether it's a 12 or 20 or 28...

http://www.omahamarian.org/trap/shotshellenergy.html

Old Timer

Quote from: Spurs Up on March 03, 2020, 07:58:07 PM
This recoil calculator takes out most of the guesswork. The short of it is gun weight and payload matter, irrespective of gauge whether it's a 12 or 20 or 28...

http://www.omahamarian.org/trap/shotshellenergy.html
[
spurs Pretty nifty! Thanks/quote]

turkeykirk

Shot my Stevens this Fall at a couple of turkeys. Can honestly say I didn't feel any recoil at all. The turkeys felt it though.

bower7706

My 870 20 has more pop than i expected but still less than any 12 i own

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

howl

1 5/8 oz out of a six-pound 20ga is brutal on the bench, but has nothing on 2 oz from a seven pound 12ga. My old 3 1/2" gun weighed about nine pounds. That thing was mild compared to a light 20.

The lightest kicking forty yard gun we have here is a 5.6# 20ga using a handload of 7/8oz TSS #10s. The gun is actually pleasant to fire. If stuck with factory shells, a .410 weighing the same would be similar.

2eagles

Quote from: turkeykirk on March 04, 2020, 11:03:41 AM
Shot my Stevens this Fall at a couple of turkeys. Can honestly say I didn't feel any recoil at all. The turkeys felt it though.
Guns don't recoil when you shoot at animals. Only when you shoot at targets.

turkeykirk

Quote from: 2eagles on March 07, 2020, 06:27:02 PM
Quote from: turkeykirk on March 04, 2020, 11:03:41 AM
Guns don't recoil when you shoot at animals. Only when you shoot at targets.

That's true for sure.