OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new to turkey hunting, can afford one turkey call...can u help ?

Started by herbeapuce, May 10, 2011, 08:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herbeapuce

HI there. I will be going to a turkey hunt this spring here where I live in Quebec. I believe the hunt is only allowed for one weekend and before noon only, Toms only.
this is all very new to me. I not sure I will have the chance to go back... ...  my friend , also a beginner, said I will need a call. I would like to buy only 1 call. it need to be idiot proof but also very efficient.  can you recommend one model that meets my criteria ?  simple , good and cheap ?  thanks for your time . Happy hunting
stef

oneshotcalls

Welcome aboard Stef,

I would recommend you go on line and look at some videos (youtube) about using a box call and a pot call.  You can achieve what your looking for from both.  Keep in mind they are completely different in design and how to use them.  There are allot of calls sold on Ebay but you will get what you pay for, or you might get lucky.  Look at those videos and see witch one you think will suit you best then look at the classifieds on this site.  The makers here are the finest folks you'll ever meet and will help guide you in your choice of calls.  Good luck and have a safe and productive season.

Tony

savduck

I would get a  good quality crystal or aluminum pot call and a few strikers so you can vary your sound a little. You can still run these two in damp weather, where as a slate gets damp your done. They are easy to learn to use, you can make a very realistic sound as a novice, you can make the many different calls that a turkey makes with very little practice, they last a long time with proper maitainance, they fit in the pocket of your pant leg if you dont have a vest, they are consistant with their sound in different temps and climates, and they KILL turkeys.

If you only buy just the one call dont just go get a cheap 10 dollar one, spend fifty bucks on a custom and you will have it forever.  Get the call maker to run it. Not every custom sounds good.I can suggest the following custom pots that are in my collection...David Halloran, Joseph Vaughn, Roberts Brothers Game calls, Beards Games Calls, Dynamic Game calls, Cane Creek. Click on pic to get the video.
Here is a cane creek

Here is a Beard Hunter Aluminum

here is a Halloran crystal

Georgia Boy

Bigsho69

I would go for a simple slate pot call.  Easy to run and lots of versatility and easier to carry. 

savduck

Quote from: Creekrocket on May 10, 2011, 10:55:20 PM
That call sounds great Dell.

Which one? They all run pretty good.  I wont buy one unless I can run it in person. I like the live shows so I can mix and match strikers and get the sound Im looking for...............just cause they look like a Ferrari doesnt mean they will run like one.
Georgia Boy

cannonball

savduck

Quote from: cannonball on May 10, 2011, 11:01:42 PM
That Crystal Mistress sounded pretty awesome to me!

I havent been on here long, so I cant speak for all the call makers in here, and I dont want to sound like Im not for them. There are some fine looking calls on here and I bet a bunch of them sound good, but I can tell you I have run a PILE of pots in my time and in my opinion that kid (Halloran) puts out the best and most consistant pot I have ever run. I go see him every year at our local show in GA, and spend about 40 minutes at his booth running stuff.  I dont like to buy or talk a friend into buying one unless I can run it and hand pick it for them. I can say this, I would tell anyone to buy any of his calls and they will run. Every one of them, every surface. Period.
Georgia Boy

drenalinld

Quote from: Bigsho69 on May 10, 2011, 10:35:01 PM
I would go for a simple slate pot call.  Easy to run and lots of versatility and easier to carry. 

I think for ease of use a slate pot is a great choice for a first turkey call. I have many custom calls, but if you want to go inexpensive the HS Strut Lil' Deuce calls are a great value for less than $20.

Both the slate and the crystal in the video clips sounded great in the woods!! That guy has heard a lot of turkeys and is good at mimicking them.
Great clips.

TarheelTurk

:welcomeOG: X 2 on the slate or glass call. You should maybe get one type and since your friend is new he get a different style( you get the pot call he get a box call ) jus  a suggestion. Good luck
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

bowhunter84

Quote from: TarheelTurk on May 11, 2011, 11:22:46 AM
:welcomeOG: X 2 on the slate or glass call. You should maybe get one type and since your friend is new he get a different style( you get the pot call he get a box call ) jus  a suggestion. Good luck
:agreed: