turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

calling in nothing but hens

Started by eddie234, May 10, 2011, 05:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie234

I went out the other day and was having no luck, I was using every call i had in my vest and nothing would respond. I've been practicing with my mouth calls and think I'm half way decent with a two reed call. I figured I couldn't do any worse than I already was. I yelped a few times and after a few minutes got some yelps back, I did everything she did only louder and more and was cutting her off. Sure enough she showed up and paced back and forth in front of me for awhile, she ended up wondering off.
Went out the next day and ended up striking up another hen in a different area but the same general location. I was using the same two reed call I used the day before.
I realize it good to have the hens come in but is there something I should be doing different to get the toms to come in? Am I missing something?

guesswho

I don't think your missing anything, you just haven't struck the right gobbler on the right day yet.  Just stay after them!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

A. Felix

Are you hearing any gobbleing from birds on the roost in your area?  i had the same problem this year.  the first day i saw 15 hens and not a single bearded bird.  the only gobble i heard on the morning was a half mile south.  over the next day or 2 i pinpointed him.  stick with it.  theres got to be a bird serviceing those hens somewhere around there.

CASH

Keep at it.  You may have that gobbler following the hens, but hanging back a bit.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

mmusso

If you're calling up hens then you're talking turkey, at least turkey enough to get them curious. If the hens are there, there's a gobbler somewhere nearby. Just give it time, and the gobblers will come when they're ready...

eddie234

This will be the final week of the WV season, runs out the 21st. I've got Sun, Mon, Tue and the final day off. hopefully the gobblers will be lonely.