turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke Tube Brand Difference

Started by Escout711, March 26, 2020, 09:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Escout711

Really starting to look into some choke tubes for my Benelli Nova. One thing I am wondering is what makes 1 brand better than another, or are they all the same other than the hype/name? What makes a choke of the same constriction any different between brands? I've been using a Carlson/Bass Pro Blackout .665 for a few years,  but I have been curious about the Carlson and Trulock Longbeard XR chokes.

Tom007

I have no experience with Carlson turkey tubes, but I have a Truelock 650 that is made specifically for the Fed Heavyweight flight control wad, #7 shot. Patterns well in my Benelli SBE. I also like the Rob Roberts 660. Sumtoys chokes are fantastic too. Unfortunately we all face big decisions due to the technology in all these choke tubes. Different guns however pattern differently, you have to experiment and find what shell/choke combo works best in your Nova. Best of luck.... This forum is loaded with experience regarding this.....
"Solo hunter"

ThunderChickenHunter21

I used a jebs with nitros and really liked it but went to an indian creek this year using tss for the first time. I'm shooting an 870 but would highly recommend the jebs or indian creek

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

Choke tubes from different mfgs or even by the same mfg will be quite different. Some of the variables involved: length, constriction, length of parallel section, wad stoppers, number of wad stoppers, longitudinal grooves, ported or not, quality of machining and metallurgy, etc. And patterning results will vary by a huge margin between different tubes. The only way to know what your gun and load likes is to experiment. You can get way ahead of the curve by asking for others' experience with a given tube/load/gun combo on this and other forums. But the only way to know how a given combination will perform in your gun is to shoot it in your gun.

My experience is that TSS is not picky about chokes. It will pattern acceptably with most any make of choke, even the flush, factory full that comes with most guns, and you need not spend extra money on high dollar choke tubes. Other shot types such as old fashioned copper plated lead benefit more from the higher end choke tubes.

Escout711

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 27, 2020, 08:06:45 AM
Choke tubes from different mfgs or even by the same mfg will be quite different. Some of the variables involved: length, constriction, length of parallel section, wad stoppers, number of wad stoppers, longitudinal grooves, ported or not, quality of machining and metallurgy, etc. And patterning results will vary by a huge margin between different tubes. The only way to know what your gun and load likes is to experiment. You can get way ahead of the curve by asking for others' experience with a given tube/load/gun combo on this and other forums. But the only way to know how a given combination will perform in your gun is to shoot it in your gun.

My experience is that TSS is not picky about chokes. It will pattern acceptably with most any make of choke, even the flush, factory full that comes with most guns, and you need not spend extra money on high dollar choke tubes. Other shot types such as old fashioned copper plated lead benefit more from the higher end choke tubes.

Great info, thank you!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"