turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

my thoughts on reaping

Started by Missouri hunter, February 26, 2020, 11:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

The reaping subject has been beaten like a dead horse , go ahead and feel free to discuss,  but eventually someone comes along that doesnt have their "kid friendly filter on " and really let's folks know what they think about it ....I've heard all the arguments , everyone has

Opinions are elbows ,I have one too....my opinion reaping is dangerous,  there is no way I would cast aside my own safety just to kill a gobbler , if you dont get him.....there is another day, if you still dont get him...oh well

But yes I've seen 100 reaping threads and they end up the same way

Be safe folks
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Turkeytider

Quote from: Jmbradt3873 on February 26, 2020, 02:04:42 PM
I don't personally do it, but if it is legal then go for it. I don't do it for the same reason that I am extremely selective about using a gobbler decoy(or any decoy for that matter) or a gobble call; I hunt a heavily pressured wma in Florida, and getting shot in the face would really suck.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Considering some of the folks out there, doing that on public land is getting uncomfortably close to a death wish IMHO.

GobbleNut

I am not condoning reaping as a hunting method, but as far as the safety issue goes, here's a question for everybody.  Has anybody anywhere seen a confirmed report of a hunter being shot while reaping? 

Just curious...   Every discussion that takes place here has as the general theme that "it is dangerous". Yet, I have not heard of a single case of someone being shot by another hunter while doing it.  ...And on the other hand, I have heard of many confirmed cases of people being shot while CALLING turkeys. 

Again, I am not condoning the practice, nor do I participate in doing it.  But, quite honestly, I have seen absolutely no proof that it is dangerous,...and I have seen plenty of cases where hunters have been shot while calling.

Why do I bring this up?  For me, personally, I suppose I have more faith in my fellow turkey hunters to positively identify their target as a real, live gobbler when hunting.  Until I see hard evidence to the contrary, I will continue to have that faith.

eggshell

Well gobblenut, I am hesitant to make this reply, but I will because I think it is relevant. Last time I posted about my accident I got accused of wearing it as a badge of honor.....that still pisses me off and hurts!

Simply put, I was shot because the guy thought he saw part of a turkey. I had called and birds had answered right in front of me. The guy saw movement and convinced himself that some part of my camo pattern looked like the back of a turkey. So yes I was shot because someone did not identify his target and was so anxious to kill one he took a chance before he did. I know it's not reaping, but I think similar. I also know of another case that happened when I worked for the Division of wildlife where a guy was killed by his brother and he mistook his brother for a turkey....really bad case.

GobbleNut

Quote from: eggshell on February 28, 2020, 10:58:14 AM
Well gobblenut, I am hesitant to make this reply, but I will because I think it is relevant. Last time I posted about my accident I got accused of wearing it as a badge of honor.....that still pisses me off and hurts!

Simply put, I was shot because the guy thought he saw part of a turkey. I had called and birds had answered right in front of me. The guy saw movement and convinced himself that some part of my camo pattern looked like the back of a turkey. So yes I was shot because someone did not identify his target and was so anxious to kill one he took a chance before he did. I know it's not reaping, but I think similar. I also know of another case that happened when I worked for the Division of wildlife where a guy was killed by his brother and he mistook his brother for a turkey....really bad case.

Your point is well taken, eggshell.  Safety is an issue all the way around.  However, your experience, as well as every single other one I am aware of, was not related to reaping.  It all boils down to target identification in every single case involving mistaken-for-game accidents. 

I can plainly see why you, in particular, have a heightened awareness regarding safety issues, but your experience also reinforces my statement.  That is, reaping has not been demonstrated to be more dangerous than other turkey hunting method, and certainly no more so than plain-old calling.

We rarely see much talk here about the dangers of turkey calling. Yet, pretty much everybody jumps on board when reaping comes up.  I personally just can't jump on that bandwagon without statistical data to back it up,...and again, I am asking for specific instances where accidents have occurred involving reaping. 

Being as I am out here in the west, I may not have heard about such instances.  I am just looking for factual documentation to back up the hype that reaping puts a hunter in a more dangerous situation than does any other form of turkey hunting.  Anybody got any?....

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 28, 2020, 09:56:39 AM
I am not condoning reaping as a hunting method, but as far as the safety issue goes, here's a question for everybody.  Has anybody anywhere seen a confirmed report of a hunter being shot while reaping? 

Just curious...   Every discussion that takes place here has as the general theme that "it is dangerous". Yet, I have not heard of a single case of someone being shot by another hunter while doing it.  ...And on the other hand, I have heard of many confirmed cases of people being shot while CALLING turkeys. 

Again, I am not condoning the practice, nor do I participate in doing it.  But, quite honestly, I have seen absolutely no proof that it is dangerous,...and I have seen plenty of cases where hunters have been shot while calling.

Why do I bring this up?  For me, personally, I suppose I have more faith in my fellow turkey hunters to positively identify their target as a real, live gobbler when hunting.  Until I see hard evidence to the contrary, I will continue to have that faith.
https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/04/18/hunter-shoots-two-partners-hiding-behind-turkey-fan/
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

eggshell

I agree Gobblenut, I know of no reaping cases personally and agree my case supports your hypothesis. I see sir-diealot found a case.

fallhnt

Quote from: warrent423 on February 28, 2020, 01:24:26 PM
Haven't tripped over a body yet, but I can feel it coming. I hoping when it does, the stupid a$$ will have a fat wallet and a nice gun.
Hopefully it's you that gets tripped over

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

strum

I hope no one ever gets shot .  I pray safety and protection  on all the guys this year.
  I cant imagine mistaking a reaping hunter for a real gobbler . It would just look way way to odd to me. But there are those guys out there that shoot and ask later I guess.

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 28, 2020, 12:14:52 PM

Your point is well taken, eggshell.  Safety is an issue all the way around.  However, your experience, as well as every single other one I am aware of, was not related to reaping.  It all boils down to target identification in every single case involving mistaken-for-game accidents. 

I can plainly see why you, in particular, have a heightened awareness regarding safety issues, but your experience also reinforces my statement.  That is, reaping has not been demonstrated to be more dangerous than other turkey hunting method, and certainly no more so than plain-old calling.

We rarely see much talk here about the dangers of turkey calling. Yet, pretty much everybody jumps on board when reaping comes up.  I personally just can't jump on that bandwagon without statistical data to back it up,...and again, I am asking for specific instances where accidents have occurred involving reaping. 

Being as I am out here in the west, I may not have heard about such instances.  I am just looking for factual documentation to back up the hype that reaping puts a hunter in a more dangerous situation than does any other form of turkey hunting.  Anybody got any?....
https://community.legendarywhitetails.com/blog/hunter-accidentally-shoots-brother-friend-while-turkey-hunting/

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Even though those two incidents cited are the same one, it does demonstrate that there is a level of danger associated with reaping.  Now, research turkey hunting accidents that were a result of someone getting shot while calling.  I think you will find a few more than one. 

Again, I am not trying to justify reaping or minimize the significance of the danger associated with it.  The point is that calling has been clearly demonstrated to be just as dangerous, if not more-so. 

Let's put the emphasis where it really needs to be.  If and when any of us pulls that trigger, we all need to be COMPLETELY certain that our target is the real deal.  I have said this many times before here:  There is absolutely no excuse for any mistaken-for-game accident!  EVER!

A fake turkey with a hunter behind it looks just like that,...a fake turkey with a hunter behind it!  Let's put the blame right where it belongs in every case,....on the shooter!...and quit making excuses for someone getting shot in any situation!

aclawrence

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 28, 2020, 12:14:52 PM

We have been calling turkeys since the beginning of turkey hunting. Reaping with realistic decoys is a much newer thing which is why I think you're not finding a lot of incidents reported yet. I don't think we can make a fair comparison of reaping accidents verses calling accidents yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strum

A fake turkey with a hunter behind it looks just like that,...a fake turkey with a hunter behind it!  Let's put the blame right where it belongs in every case,....on the shooter!...and quit making excuses for someone getting shot in any situation!
:agreed:

I have never understood how anyone ,,deer or turkey hunter can be mistaken . 
  case In point.
  I was working a gobbler a few years back.. I was in some very thick rugged mountain country in north ga.
  Gobbler was responding and working my way. This was going on an hour or so and he went quiet.
  Suddenly i hear some leaves rusting and got my gun swung in that direction.
  A figure pops up over the ridge 20 yards away .  Now my mind said . This is that gobbler . BUT .. I did not shoot .
  Why ?  I didnt have my target identified and of course wanted a clean head shot.
  But this wasnt a gobbler . This was guy who was working toward my Tom.
  He best count his blessings . I could have been an over zealous hunter and he could have been dead.
  Even at 20 yards he didnt see me. I had to wave at him to get his attention. Scared the sheets out of him.

Bamaslayer757

I did it once to see how it is and killed a big stubborn pasture bird...honestly, won't ever do it again...really just was a whole lot easier and took way less skill than calling one in...these guys on YouTube that only can kill em with a fan yet think they are Gods gift to turkey hunting really rub me wrong...prolly wear a flat bill as well with a salt life sticker on their lifted truck lol

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Bamaslayer757 on March 03, 2020, 11:00:57 PM
.these guys on YouTube that only can kill em with a fan yet think they are Gods gift to turkey hunting really rub me wrong...prolly wear a flat bill as well with a salt life sticker on their lifted truck lol

Funny but it's true. I've never seen so many clones in my life. Hundreds of them dressing the same, same truck it's really like a cult but not in a good way. A guy on another forum said the same thing but also pointed out for some reason there all about 5'- 6" lol not sure if it's inbreeding or what.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?