OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS Reloading setup cost

Started by RiverRoost, February 22, 2020, 06:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Curious to getting into reloading turkey shells and eliminate the having to track down shells or remember to order them in time. Currently shooting Nitro Hevi and they are performing well  but if I ever moved to tss I think I would want to load my own. I've never reloaded any type of shells before other than someone showing me the ropes developing a load for my rifle. What would it cost to get into the game on reloading with getting setup on equipment?

mtns2hunt

Depends on if you are planing on shooting a lot. Just five or six shots during turkey season I would buy the roll die for the gauge shotgun I intended to use, purchase my TSS from Hal or one of the others selling it . He would then supply the recipe and instructions. He would also outline what supplies are needed and from whom to purchase them. Other than that a cheap drill press. You can easily make your own hull vise and hull trimmer. So I would say under 200.00. My total cost was about 160. or close to it. The main reason I reload is because I predator hunt and have been loading #4 TSS as well as #9. I have found both loads pattern very well. I would suggest watching some 7you tube videos as well. Some are very informative.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

crow

You do not have to have a drill press

I use a hand drill and bit to roll crimp for 20 ga.  and an antique roll crimper for 12ga.

they both make nice crimps

Bowguy

Seems I've never heard of anyone reloading. They all load em. They buy the hulls even primed. Not sure why that is.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: crow on February 22, 2020, 09:04:42 PM
You do not have to have a drill press

I use a hand drill and bit to roll crimp for 20 ga.  and an antique roll crimper for 12ga.

they both make nice crimps

This right here. It took me a couple hundred bucks getting set up and loading my first batch. I just now got done loading 25 3" 2oz 9' for my 20 gauge. I load for myself and several guys around here. Its not hard to do and you will be amazed at the patterns. Pretty cool busting beaks with shells you load for yourself. I wont ever shoot another factory load turkey load again. I have enough supplies to last 2 lifetimes
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

If i were a young guy , then yes i would load my own... but at my age no more than i will need, i will just buy them.. But yes i could see the benefit of loading them..

Gooserbat

I sell shot and I will say that the average cost is $225-$250 if you start with 2# of tss.  This includes the tools. 

And no you don't have to have a drill press and a shell Vice is a $5 diy project as long as you have a clamp, drill and skill saw.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 22, 2020, 09:38:53 PM
I sell shot and I will say that the average cost is $225-$250 if you start with 2# of tss.  This includes the tools. 

And no you don't have to have a drill press and a shell Vice is a $5 diy project as long as you have a clamp, drill and skill saw.

What's your price per lb of 9s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

If you send me your email address I can send you invoices from a few years ago when I bought my stuff.  Also, I bought a Russian hand roller off eBay. Darn thing works well, I prefer the drill press without at shell vise, but that hand roll does pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ShotShell-Reloading-Crimp-Tool-20-gauge-zn20/252432163966?epid=826378690&hash=item3ac621247e:g:WkkAAOSwB-1YyqzB

Spitten and drummen

What do you need the skill saw for? Just curious , I dont remember using one when I started but thats been about six years ago.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Gooserbat

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 23, 2020, 09:00:02 AM

What do you need the skill saw for? Just curious , I dont remember using one when I started but thats been about six years ago.

I use it when I make the dyi shell Vice
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RiverRoost

What all equipment would I need? Like I said I've never loaded any shot before so I'm totally new at this and just researching if it's something I want to safely get into.

Gooserbat

Quote from: RiverRoost on February 23, 2020, 10:39:30 AM
What all equipment would I need? Like I said I've never loaded any shot before so I'm totally new at this and just researching if it's something I want to safely get into.

My cell is 9182361063

You are welcome to give me a call sometime tomorrow.  I'll be around the office all day.
NWTF Booth 1623

Dtrkyman

go for it, I was on the fence for a couple springs, sold a back up turkey gun 12ga I had and funded a new 20ga and all the reloading supplies and a couple lbs of shot with it.

Super simple and I like knowing what is coming out of the end of my barrel!

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 23, 2020, 09:56:45 AM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 23, 2020, 09:00:02 AM

Gotcha

I use it when I make the dyi shell Vice
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"