OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS Reloading setup cost

Started by RiverRoost, February 22, 2020, 06:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Quote from: crow on February 22, 2020, 09:04:42 PM
You do not have to have a drill press

I use a hand drill and bit to roll crimp for 20 ga.  and an antique roll crimper for 12ga.

they both make nice crimps
True, you don't have to have a drill press. But even a small cheap one from Harbor freight makes the job so much easier with excellent results. I have tried the hand drill and it does work but not as well as a drill press in my opinion.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: mtns2hunt on February 23, 2020, 08:00:31 PM
Quote from: crow on February 22, 2020, 09:04:42 PM
You do not have to have a drill press

I use a hand drill and bit to roll crimp for 20 ga.  and an antique roll crimper for 12ga.

they both make nice crimps
True, you don't have to have a drill press. But even a small cheap one from Harbor freight makes the job so much easier with excellent results. I have tried the hand drill and it does work but not as well as a drill press in my opinion.

I just ordered a 8" w/5 speeds from harbor freight for 69 bucks. Got it for the sole purpose of roll crimping. Hope it works well.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

sasquatch1

Agree, Get a cheap drill press. Think mine was like $40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Jeremy

Quote from: RiverRoost on February 23, 2020, 10:39:30 AM
What all equipment would I need? Like I said I've never loaded any shot before so I'm totally new at this and just researching if it's something I want to safely get into.

Lots of good advice here. I'd get with Gooserbat or Hal for more info. I got the hook up from Hal, and he was a huge help in getting me going.

I started loading my own last year and was more than pleased with the results. All I bought was a scale, a roll crimping tool (I just use my hand drill and go slow, smooth, and steady when crimping), and some measuring pans in addition to the components. I used primed shells as someone mentioned earlier. Just need the shot, buffer, wads, and shot cards other than that. Pretty simple, straight-forward process. I spent in the $70 range for the tools. Sure, other things/equipment would work better, but this has done the trick for me so far making as few as I am.

Brad_23

Not wanting to hijack here.. I've been researching loading also and was wondering what's the best method of contacting Hal

RiverRoost

Do you have to cut the wads length wise a certain length or any trimming need to take place on any components

sasquatch1

Quote from: Brad_23 on February 24, 2020, 05:24:24 PM
Not wanting to hijack here.. I've been researching loading also and was wondering what's the best method of contacting Hal

On the forum or I could Pm you his number

sasquatch1

Quote from: RiverRoost on February 24, 2020, 06:25:06 PM
Do you have to cut the wads length wise a certain length or any trimming need to take place on any components

Depends on the wad and load used, some come cut some need to be cut.

LRD

Quote from: Brad_23 on February 24, 2020, 05:24:24 PM

I can PM you his email if interested. He normally responds within a few hours.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Hulls might need to be trimmed, as mentioned above, depending on the load and crimp used.  Hull trimmers are easy to make with a dowel and an X-Acto blade.

ClayW

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on February 24, 2020, 10:00:54 PM
Hulls might need to be trimmed, as mentioned above, depending on the load and crimp used.  Hull trimmers are easy to make with a dowel and an X-Acto blade.

Agreed, it is easy to make a hull trimmer, I have also been playing with making my own plastic overshot cards from plastic. Whole process is easy and can be done on a shoe string budget if necessary. Major cost is the TSS.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

ejhandler

Following.  This may have to happen next year for me.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: mtns2hunt on February 25, 2020, 11:10:26 AM
Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on February 24, 2020, 10:00:54 PM

Agreed, it is easy to make a hull trimmer, I have also been playing with making my own plastic overshot cards from plastic. Whole process is easy and can be done on a shoe string budget if necessary. Major cost is the TSS.

Not recommending anyone do this, but part of the fun is making your own tools.

Frankentrimmer:

davisd9

I have the Harbor Freight drill press as well.  Sign up for coupons and you can get it for $50 if you are patient.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer