OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 20 Gauge Compact Question

Started by cluckpurr, February 06, 2020, 03:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cluckpurr

Hoping someone in here can shed some light on my dilemma. Spring of 2018 I bought an 870 express 20 gauge compact/youth new from academy for a TSS gun. Gun has been great expect for a few days ago I noticed the extractor plunger had seized. I have soaked it, beat on it, and tried to drill it to no avail. I figured well I will just buy another breech bolt assembly, easy enough. I ordered one at a good price however my breech bolt assembly slide will not fit in the new breech bolt. Express breech bolt, not wingmaster. No wingmaster parts on the gun. I'll attach pictures so it will be easier to see what I'm talking about. Were there different size bolt assemblies made? Different slides? I have tried to contact Remington and low and behold their customer service line is no longer working. I also sent an email. I'm wondering if it would be better to buy another slide and hope it fits my new breech bolt or to buy another breech bolt assembly and hope it fits my current slide. If anyone else has ran into something similar, please let me know or if you can shed any light on my situation. Thanks!

albrubacker

Sorry I am no help. But hope to hear what Remington has to say. I just recently got a compact set up for my daughter.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

macobb

I want to preface this with the fact this is info I have been told. I trust the source but have no idea where they got the info. I was told around 10 years ago there started being two different "models" made of 870's especially the youth models. I was told that the ones you get cheap at Academy, Wal Mart, Bass Pro... etc are cheaper for a reason. Namely the components are made from cheaper grade metallurgic batches. Which is why the influx of certain issues with these models. That being said mine came from Walmart (albeit in the mid 90's) but has seen no issues in 25 years and all I do is clean it up after each hunting season. Take this with a grain of salt but I have been told roughly the same information from several people I would believe.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

Remturkey

Watch a YouTube video on how to disassemble the bolt and take the plunger out and replace it with a new one.  It's not too bad to do.  I just came back from a two day Remington 870 Armorer's recertification and we probably did this 15 times.  Also while your doing it order a stainless extractor to replace the pot metal that's in there now.

cluckpurr

Oh, I tried. The extractor wasn't the issue, it was the fact that the plunger and spring were locked up. I watched videos, soaked it for 24 hours in PB blaster, beat on it, tried to drill it...nothing was getting that plunger "unseized." But yes a better extractor is on the way for the new breech bolt assembly anyway. I installed a new breech bolt last night with a new assembly slide as well. She's back to working. FYI there ARE two different breech bolt assemblies and slides and you basically just have to guess which one you have.

Tuffonturkeys

This is good info as I have the same gun.. hope I dont run into this problem