News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Aging gobblers

Started by Borden811, May 09, 2011, 10:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drenalinld

Quote from: gobblerD on May 18, 2011, 04:19:38 PM
I read on here a while ago where a guy could age the gobbler before he shot it by the sound of the gobble. I personally have never been able to do that. I've taken the safety off for a gobbling Jake on many an occasion. :o

I find it easier to age them by the size of the white J left on the ground behind them.

Jay

Quote from: gobblerD on June 16, 2011, 10:30:54 AM
This year I know for a fact that a friend of mine killed a 3-1/2 year old JAKE!!

I saw the pictures. ( Jay's 2nd Osceola)

So that right there is proof positive we are all full of Sh@t!

A TURKEY can never be aged in the field after the kill.

I really like it when science is applied and we all learn something on OLD GOBBLER. ;D
Man, your punny 14# Toms aren't bigger than our Hens. You know both those Toms weren't Jakes I killed. They were Gobbling. EVERYONE knows Jakes don't gobble in Florida. ;D

mudhen

Without tagging, it seems like there are only three age classes; jakes, probably two, and three or older  :)

Maybe four if you include spurless...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

TRKYHTR

I had a guy tell me this year he killed a fully mature Jake. Isn't that an oxymoron. My son just called him a moron.  :lol:

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

WiLL B

The more I have looked at and researched aging turkeys the less I know about it! And I been studying them 40 years!

Houndstooth Game Calls

If he comes in gobbling and has got a full fan hes old enough to no better!!!!--Lyle

:fud: :newmascot:

TRKYHTR

I watched a gobbler that roosted literally 300 yards from my house, for 4 years. He was a longbeard the first year he started roosting there. So this year he was at least 6 years old. I decided he had lived long enough and he went on my hitlist. I killed him on April 2nd and he had 1 1/4" spurs. On April 3rd, the next day, I killed a gobbler in another area that had 1 5/8" spurs. I wonder how old he was?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

stinkpickle

Personally, I believe the relationship between spur length and age slowly disappears somewhere around the 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" mark.  There are too many genetic and environmental factors involved.