turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Info on trumpets

Started by Papa, February 07, 2020, 03:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

I need some advise from the guys on this board about trumpets. My Wife God bless her said she would buy me a trumpet for my upcoming birthday. What I would like to know is what trumpet maker has the easiest trumpet to learn on, what length, what mouth piece, shape of the mouth piece, also sound is always a concern. My Wife said not to spend no more that $400.00. As always Thanks in advance. 

Terry

I'd try to find a 6" Buice

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

USMC0331

KP

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Terry

He's got a long waiting list

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

davisd9

Quote from: Papa on February 07, 2020, 03:02:35 PM
I need some advise from the guys on this board about trumpets. My Wife God bless her said she would buy me a trumpet for my upcoming birthday. What I would like to know is what trumpet maker has the easiest trumpet to learn on, what length, what mouth piece, shape of the mouth piece, also sound is always a concern. My Wife said not to spend no more that $400.00. As always Thanks in advance. 

I would suggest a 6" Buice with a #4 mouthpiece. Some of the questions you are asking are hard for someone to answer.  Trumpets are sort of like mouth calls, they are personal.  You may not draw air exactly like me so the mouthpiece I like may not work for you.  You can get 10 answers to all of your questions.  I always recommend a Buice 6" #4 cause I have never met someone who did not feel it was an easier drawing trumpet than others and a #4 is that middle ground that is easy to learn.  If you want to play with some of your questions you have a good budget to do it.  Mr. Billy starts his calls at $225 for a push in and $250 for a screw in, type of wood determines if more.  After that you can buy an extra mouthpiece that is flat, delrin push in is $20 and screw in $25.  There are other materials you can try such as amodel and micarta but they cost more.  You can spend as much trying mouthpieces as you do on the trumpet itself.  With Mr. Billy's you also can change mouthpieces and have multiple sounds in one call. The only way to answer some of your questions is for you to try it.  Plus if a trumpet is not for you, you can get your money back on a Buice.

Kenny Pedelahore, KP, is a great choice, but the wait time is 2 years or so as he does not do it full time. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wchadw

Yea go buice. Excellent trumpets. He usually has something on hand. KP will have year plus wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

All great suggestions. If I were you, I would call Ralph Permar and purchase his model .45. He almost always has these on hand as they are very popular, very easy to play, and perfectly tuned. He has won countless turned trumpet awards for his designs. Plus you will enjoy chatting turkey hunting with Mr. Permar.

http://permarturkeycalls.com/model-45-trumpet-175/

Be patient with yourself as you learn, these are essentially musical instruments. There are a bunch of good guys here who run one well, and will fall over themselves to help you learn how to run one correctly.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: paboxcall on February 07, 2020, 03:50:13 PM
All great suggestions. If I were you, I would call Ralph Permar and purchase his model .45. He almost always has these on hand as they are very popular, very easy to play, and perfectly tuned. He has won countless turned trumpet awards for his designs. Plus you will enjoy chatting turkey hunting with Mr. Permar.

http://permarturkeycalls.com/model-45-trumpet-175/

Be patient with yourself as you learn, these are essentially musical instruments. There are a bunch of good guys here who run one well, and will fall over themselves to help you learn how to run one correctly.
I agree. You can't go wrong with Ralphs .45 model delrin.
Billy makes a great call as well and whichever way you go you'll get your money back if you find out trumpets aren't your thing and end up reselling. Both guys are top notch.

Bowhuntr73

I second the Permar - excellent

Chris O

All great advice I wouldn't argue with any ones answer but for me the easiest trumpet to play is Ernie Fetters . He goes by shade mountain 2010 on here I believe. He is also on Facebook. There are many great trumpet makers out there that you would be happy with but Ernies just amazes me how easy it plays.And they are a great price.

paboxcall

Ernie is a great suggestion.

I'd also add Austin Bott and his adjustable to this list. Nice having the option of sounding like multiple hens in one trumpet. My bocote adjustable Bott is my go-to now, knocking my Buice down the list.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Bowhuntr73

Would love to try a Fetters

USMC0331

Here is one.

davisd9

Research the names of those mentioned with the search function or just go through the trumpet area pages. Lots of information on all of the call makers mentioned. There is also a sound file section that has some of the trumpets being used.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

paboxcall

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 07, 2020, 08:00:04 PM
Here is one.

Here's another!