turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1 Month from tomorrow!!!

Started by wisconsinteacher, February 18, 2020, 03:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

One month from tomorrow starts my FL adventure.  It will be my first out of state turkey hunt and hopefully I will get bird 2 of 4 for my slam.  My buddy and I will be making the 22 hour drive from northern WI and hunting a cattle ranch south of Orlando.  I'm hearing great things from the ranch manager about bird numbers.  I am looking forward to seeing new country, spending time with my buddy and taking one big step to my slam dream. 

Any tips or tricks for hunting birds on big cattle ranches in FL? 

bbcoach

1. Have Fun 2. Have Fun 3. Have Fun  No seriously, out of state hunts start well before you leave home.  Preparation, anticipation and the trip to your destination, in anticipation of the hunt, are part of the hunt to be embraced and enjoyed.  Hunting cattle country in Florida is a BLAST.  There will be fields with patches of or islands of woods that will hold birds.  Roosting birds and knowing their travel routes will help put you in areas to kill birds.  If you have a guide, he'll know where the birds are and where they normally travel.  If you are on a semi guided hunt, which is the way I like to hunt, you'll need to roost birds in the evening.  Get in close in the morning and try to get one off the roost.  If that doesn't work, use binos and run and gun the property.  Osceola's don't normally gobble a lot after flydown so binos and being mobile will help your odds.  The entire experience of out of state hunts should be embraced so HAVE FUN AND ENJOY EVERY ASPECT of this adventure!!!!  Good Luck and send us PICS!  I'll be heading to your home state to hunt with a buddy of mine during the 3rd season.

Sir-diealot

Best of luck to you, enjoy the adventure.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Hobbes

Good luck man.  I hope to make it to FL one of these days.

ddturkeyhunter

If you are hunting private land in florida you should do ok, hunting public is a different story. Hope you have a chance to sit around a fire at night and listen to the different stories that can be told. All part of making great memories of out of state hunts. Good luck shoot straight.

Mossberg90MN

Sounds awesome man! Have fun! Hope you get a nice bird!

1iagobblergetter

Good luck..That will be a memory of a life time.