turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke recommendation for Remington 870

Started by Borden811, March 04, 2020, 08:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Hey guys, I finally found an "old school" 870, one of the 21" barreled special purpose guns in bottomland camo from the early 90s. I kind of want to stay "old school" with the Ammo too. I have a stash of the "old white" clear hulked hevi shot shells in 3" #6, and some black hulled 3" hevi shot #5 that was made before the old white shells. I'd like to stay "old school" with the choke too(provides I can get acceptable patterns. Does anyone have any choke recommendations that may have shot these combos at some point in the past? Or if not, a good current day choke for the 870? I also have some federal tss 9s and a bunch of 3" 1.75 longbeards in #4 and #5 shot that I will probably test in it. I'm all ears!

Turkeytider

Both my buddy and I shoot 870 12 gauge Super Mags. We both shoot 3" 2oz. #6 Hevi-13 through Primos Jellyhead.660 chokes. To be honest, I've never bothered to count the holes in a 10 " circle at 40 yards, but based on the hits in the head and neck of a turkey silhouette target... plenty dead.

Plenty of good chokes to choose from, but I almost feel like the Jellyheads were made with 870s in mind.

gtrjames

I shoot a 1994 870 Special Purpose magnum. I've settled on Hevi 13 2 oz #6 and the Hevi -13 .662 choke tube. Really good hunting pattern.

bbcoach

Most 870's love chokes in the .665 range.  Some that come to mind are Indian Creek, Sumtoy, Hevi-13 and SSX.

longislandloco

Check e-bay, always some of the "old school" Star Dot chokes there, all I use. My current Nova also has a Star Dot.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

agent eight seven O

Here's a few to give some thought to. Remington Ventilator, Kick's .655, and Remington super full straight rifled.

mrlongbeard

The only Original Bottomland Remington 870 guns offered from 1992-1996 were in 26"& 28" vent rib and the Big Game version was 20" rifle sights. If your barrel is 21" vent rib it has been cut down and rethreaded.

gtrjames

I bought an 11-87 special purpose magnum in 1992/93 with the Trebark camo and I believe it had a 21 inch barrel...I don't recall seeing a bottomland, but I have seen green leaf.

Borden811

Dunno, it was sold as 21" barrel. It's definitely original bottomland. It's enroute, so I guess I'll find out when it arrives. It matters not to me, I didn't buy it for collecting, I bought it for hunting. Killed my first gobbler with one that I borrowed, and have wanted one ever since.

Gobble!

Remington Ventilator is what I consider an old school choke that others have had a lot of success with while shooting the Hevi-13 loads.

gtrjames