only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Delrin or micarta

Started by otis, December 08, 2019, 04:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 23, 2022, 10:24:26 AM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 23, 2022, 09:46:25 AM
What's the sound difference between micarta and delrin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my personal opinion (and this could be entirely in my head, or could be a result of the individual calls; internals, mouthpiece material, etc.), it depends on the micarta. I've got some heavier fiber micarta calls that seem to play a little duller than delrin but then I've got some black linen micarta calls that carry exactly that same sort of pop and are indistinguishable. If I had to pick a material as I've said a whole, whole lot, I'd take delrin. That said, if it's a micarta call, I want Charlie turning it.

Thanks!

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

MHMcLain

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 23, 2022, 10:56:50 AM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 23, 2022, 10:24:26 AM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 23, 2022, 09:46:25 AM
What's the sound difference between micarta and delrin?

In my personal opinion (and this could be entirely in my head, or could be a result of the individual calls; internals, mouthpiece material, etc.), it depends on the micarta. I've got some heavier fiber micarta calls that seem to play a little duller than delrin but then I've got some black linen micarta calls that carry exactly that same sort of pop and are indistinguishable. If I had to pick a material as I've said a whole, whole lot, I'd take delrin. That said, if it's a micarta call, I want Charlie turning it.

Thanks!

Micarta is excellent paper, canvas, or linen.  I'll take micarta over delrin any day.  Comes down to the care of the finish process of the stem. 

Meleagris gallopavo

Circling back to this, I wonder why you don't see as many acrylic trumpet barrels?  I have seen some that Martin Ellenburg has turned.

Bedge7767

A friend's call. He said it sounds better than most woods. All Delrin.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jim

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 28, 2022, 09:52:33 AM
Circling back to this, I wonder why you don't see as many acrylic trumpet barrels?  I have seen some that Martin Ellenburg has turned.

I think some of William Lester's barrels are acrylic. Might just be an absolute nightmare to turn. I know I've asked a couple striker makers about turning me a flared tip acrylic and they wouldn't do it because it was a headache to work with and had a bad tendency to warp or get brittle when turning (that's what they told me).

Terry

To my ears Delrin, micarta, and acrylic all have a hair more "pop" to their sound. I personally really like them.

ol bob

If you buy a acrylic trumpet, be sure you never drop it.

gergg

I always liked Delrin more than Micarta MP's.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: gergg on May 28, 2022, 06:47:14 PM
I'm with you, Greg. I don't like a micarta mp. The one micarta call I've got that I really like has a PPSU mp that I do like, but I've got a couple wood calls with micarta mouthpieces and I just don't like them nearly as much as delrin. Micarta also seems significantly heavier to me.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 29, 2022, 08:55:52 AM
Quote from: gergg on May 28, 2022, 06:47:14 PM
I'm with you, Greg. I don't like a micarta mp. The one micarta call I've got that I really like has a PPSU mp that I do like, but I've got a couple wood calls with micarta mouthpieces and I just don't like them nearly as much as delrin. Micarta also seems significantly heavier to me.

I like the idea of a matching micarta lipstop, maybe with eva foam where the lips touch.  Delrin, bone, metal are all fine with me so far as mouthpieces.

mmclain

Why not more acrylic. Because it's a large pain in the arse to turn and polish..  Especially the clear.

MHMcLain

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 28, 2022, 01:16:57 PM

I think some of William Lester's barrels are acrylic. Might just be an absolute nightmare to turn. I know I've asked a couple striker makers about turning me a flared tip acrylic and they wouldn't do it because it was a headache to work with and had a bad tendency to warp or get brittle when turning (that's what they told me).

I've turned a flared tip acrylic striker.  Never warped any acrylic I've ever turned.  It will shatter if you don't use the correct tooling when turning it.   It's not the most fun material to turn but it can be done nicely.