OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

multiple questions-blinds, etc...

Started by nolimit679, February 12, 2011, 02:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nolimit679

hey all, first off i'd like to say "hello" to everybody out there, especially the NATIVE Kansans :).

Anywho i have multiple questions-here go's:

1.ground blinds big enough for multiple night stays with a fair bit of wind resistance while inside it to keep out early season cold. do they exist?
The reason why i ask this is because the particular area i hunt in kansas is a small tract of public land with a large lake. adjacent landowners REFUSE and i mean ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to open any of their land for WIHA Turkey. they will for deer but not turkey. it has gotten to the point over the past 3 seasons of being so crowded even weeks after season opener you run the very real and dangerous risk of being shot walking into your spot unless you were already in one. there are plenty of turkeys around and i have been working with the lake ranger to setup feeding stations specifically for turkeys in the few areas remote enough that SOME people are too lasy to walk too. anyways the jist of the situation is that i need to be posted up around my remote feeders (these are only medium sized stations, no water) for 2-3 possibly even 4 days ahead of season opening and after opening as well. Also i am currently working with one landowner adjacent the lake to scout and STUDY ONLY the flocks on his land. since it is so early in the season it's a bit cold out in canyonland trying to call some of these flocks toward my feeders without some sort of shelter.

2.whats the juiciest feed rio's/rio hybrids want in the wintertime?
I am trying to draw a few flocks out from private land and onto public land and keep them there nice fat and happy. it is early february, we've already had 2 major winter events with temperatures as low as -25, a few turkeys i know have died from exposure to this weather from reports ive gotten from the ranger. what is the best food to give them when they are stressing in the wintertime and what will make them stay in the general area?

3.how can i find landowner info for specific counties?
I have (regretfully) hiked and boondocked the vast majority of the private canyonland around the lake i hunt and have seen some absolutely stellar habitat for turkeys and other game. the problem is that the vast majority of this canyonland could very well be public but the landowner's will not open it up even for WIHA. Personally i think it is a disgrace since the land is not being used for anything agricultural,mineral or othewrise, it is just sitting there, completely wild with a private property sign wich in my mind shouldnt be therte if the land isnt being used. just my opinion but anyways how can i find accurate information on who owns these plots?

paladin

Number 3 is easy. County Courthouse will have all those records. It is sometimes called the chancery clerks office but may differ in your state.
Number 2 I would be guessing but peanuts and corn are high protein and carbs. Purina Turkey chow would be a good choice also. Check your state laws.
Number 1 Most blinds I have encountered would make poor tents. You may find a camo tent however.
You are doing a lot of work for turkeys. They will wander if there is no food. They will wander much farther than you could call one. If you got the food out they will find it and return.

It sounds as if the land owners are leaseing the land out to a guide for paid hunts.
"have gun-will travel"

Crutch

Lots of blinds are big enough for a single occupant.

For a birds health, you could also use some black oil sunflower. It's a little smaller than regular sunflower but contains a high oil content. It should help fat reserves and promote essential prening.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble: