turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

sharing my box call chalkin' idea

Started by kyhareraiser, February 12, 2011, 01:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyhareraiser

now comes the time all hunters are getting their gear out and checking to see what worked for them and what not..but here s something i started doing some years ago and not only does it make the box sound good,,it waterproofs it ..probably not in a downpour,,but far as the spring sprinkles it does the job.. i went to a music store and bought a cake of super sensitive ROSIN LIGHT (3.99) the kind made for violin's  and just a light cleaning on the lid with a buff pad(never sand cause it will change your box"s sound)a puff or two of air blown to remove the dust and apply the rosin..lasts on the box quite a while and also the cake of rosin will last a real long time when used to do the lid.. give it a try ,and i hope the idea helps all of us get a real big'o limb hanger gobbler.. good luck this season to all :boon:

harvester

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

selinoid44

I'll try it. I've got a violin that I never play, probably got some rosin in there going to waste.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

chrisun

John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

northwoodshntr

I've been using violin rosin for sometime now too. It works great. I chalk right over it too. When cleaning the paddle before applying I like to use a "Scotch Brite" pad or 0000 steel wool. Just light pressure no scrubbing. 

FireFly908

I haven't used violin rosin, but I have used regular rosin and it worked great for awhile, but then appeared to ruin the call.  Supposedly the varnish naturally contained within the rosin worked it's way into the grooves of the wood and filled them in making such a smooth surface that it wouldn't "sing".  I had to take steel wool to the call to rejuvinate it to some extent and then stayed away from the rosin.