OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

suction yelpers

Started by gobbler336, May 04, 2011, 06:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler336

never owned one, i have made my own wingbone but didn't care for it.  i have heard some hens though that sound alot like a suction yelper so i feel i should add one to my tool belt.  first off can they be made to have a bit of rasp to them, also and i know this is a loaded question but i'm not wanting to spend an arm and a leg so for the money who should i talk to about getting a good one made?

gobbler336

either nobody on here uses a suction yelper or i have worded something incorrectly,  i want a good one, period, who do i need to talk to?

i have read the turpins are good, but parker whedon had a call making business at one time, i think a friend of his took it over, does anybody have a contact #? 

Turkey Trot

Bram's Bones makes some nice wingbone yelpers.

A lot of people prefer a trumpet to the older wingbone call.  There is a bunch of good makers on here.  Alan Sentell of New Moon in GA won an award a while back, and Bill Lester of Mississippi makes an interesting call with what he says ins a unique baffle.   
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

pappy

The thing about trumpets is the ability to make it sound as near what the customer wants as possible as everything is drilled to exact measurements, depending on what it is you are looking for. And every one is different, I made one this years that took first in the Midwest Nationals in Hunting division, sent one near identical to North Carolina at the Deer Classic and took third...so everyone's taste in sound is different, that is why it is important to grab a good trumpet maker who can work with you. Ralph Permar in Pennsylvania is a great maker....he would help you for sure and Bryan Merro is too...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

gwa

pappy,
you are too modest..... Get one off of pappy

Denny

callmakerman

Get one from Frank Cox or Matt McClain. End of story.  Bill

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

ElkTurkMan

I've got three wing bone's one of which is from Bram's bones and it sounds awesome.  Also the art work is out of this world.  Gerry Bramlet is a true artist, and as well as his calls sounding awesome.  I have one trumpet from Lee, of Misfire Game calls.  I like it as well.   I'm on waiting list to get one of LF Cox's trumpets.  I've heard nothing bt good things about them, but they are pricey.  To me the suction calls just give out a totally different sound, plus I love the simplicity and the history of them.

Tnturkey71

What is Frank getting for a Trumpet these days? Last one I got from him was 250.00

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: Tnturkey71 on May 09, 2011, 09:55:17 PM
What is Frank getting for a Trumpet these days? Last one I got from him was 250.00

There starting at $250.00 and depending on what kind of mouth piece, and wood they  go up to over $300.00.  Maybe more than that.  I had a price limit in mind and I didn't really discuss with him any of the more expensive options.  I have been told by more than a few people that there worth it. 

Tnturkey71

They Sound Great and are easy to play, and have a great resale value.

SWAMPFOX

wingbones and suction yelpers are a well kept secret because those that use them know how deadly they are. the best sounding ones i use to consistently harvest gobblers in three states are frank coxs , parker wheddons spirit yelper, and professor wingbones . of course parker is no longer making his and has turned it over to gene gardner. i aquired one of genes spirit yelpers last year  and it almost sounds as good as parkers. gene can be reached at "old masters turkey calls". franks trumphets are the best i have ever put my hands on in terms of quality and sound. this is not gospel but only my opinion.
swampfox