OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

rookie mistake

Started by mdgobbler, May 04, 2011, 11:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdgobbler

went this morning and had a big gobbler behind me about 75 yards roosted up. from 6-7 he would talk to me the whole time. i called he would answer me back or cut me off.  well about 7 he shut right up didnt hear anything else, so about 730 i decided to go for a walk where i heard him i thought maybe we went down in the other pasture. well i turned the corner and there he was 25 yards away in roost still. well he saw me and took off and went down in the next farm. will he be back on my farm? any other suggestions yall have for me not to mess up this year? also how often do will you have to sit one out in the tree like that? he showed no intentions on coming down
-mdgobbler-

guesswho

Don't sweat it, he'll be back.  I'd give him a day or two then try him again.  Probably the reason he was still in the tree was because of you calling to him.  He was waiting to see the hen before he pitched down.  Thats one reason I don't call to them until their on the ground.  Next time I wouldn't call to him until his feet are on the ground, but if you feel you have to call to him on the limb I wouldn't do anything more than a few soft tree yelps followed by a flydown about 10 minutes later.  Then I'd just scratch in the leaves until I knew he was on the ground. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

honker22

Quote from: guesswho on May 04, 2011, 12:27:24 PM
Don't sweat it, he'll be back.  I'd give him a day or two then try him again.  Probably the reason he was still in the tree was because of you calling to him.  He was waiting to see the hen before he pitched down.  Thats one reason I don't call to them until their on the ground.  Next time I wouldn't call to him until his feet are on the ground, but if you feel you have to call to him on the limb I wouldn't do anything more than a few soft tree yelps followed by a flydown about 10 minutes later.  Then I'd just scratch in the leaves until I knew he was on the ground. 

x2- You calling to him on the roost, kept him in the tree.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.