OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

help me kill this bird

Started by scastle, May 04, 2011, 08:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scastle

every morning that i go to this farm there is a BIG tom and about 10 or 12 hens with him,they never leave this feild.early season he had 2or3 jakes and longbeards with then but now they are gone, what im thinking is sneek in way before daylight and set up about 100yards from him and call softly or just purr,should i try to get out a decoy? whats some suggestions   thanks spencer castle

turkeybill34

I would try a strutter decoy

alexdanotsogreat

i would say get in their really early before the birds are chirping. Set up on the edge of the field that they run the most and set up a strutting tom. Then don't call at all, if he sees the strutter his natural instint will be to challenge it. Just wait till he comes over if he doesn't add some purrs softly. Then when he comes put some lead in his head. Try to get a good blind with all those hens thats alot of eyes to hide from.

bbcoach

Do a little more scouting of this Bird and try to get a good pattern of what he is doing.  Turkeys are creatures of habit and will usually do the same thing everyday.  Find out where he is roosting, where he flys down to and where he travels after flydown.  After you have patterned him, then set up in front of him.  If it means setting up in the field, then get a pop up blind and set it in the field.  Believe me, the hens nor the gobbler won't pay any attention to the blind.

I also like Turkeybill's advice.  If he has a harem of 10-12 hens, then a Strutter invading his territory may make his BLOOD BOIL!!!!

SCOUT HIM, THEN SCOUT HIM SOME MORE AND YOU'LL KILL HIM!!!!!!!!

savduck

Get yourself a duck hunting layout blind. Brush it with natural vegetation from the fields. Put it in the section where he wants to be be and get there an hour before light. Settle in and get ready.
Georgia Boy

FloppinTom

As a last resort bump him off the roost at daylight and watch the direction he goes. Get close, but not too close to where he lands. In a couple of hours he'll be gobbling his head off for the hens he used to having with him. Get to him quick when he starts gobbling and get close before you call. I hunted a bird ten years ago who gobbled extermely early before daylight and always had hens with him.   This was  how I got him.
Good Luck!   
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

OLE RASPY

Quote from: FloppinTom on May 10, 2011, 07:54:13 PM
As a last resort bump him off the roost at daylight and watch the direction he goes. Get close, but not too close to where he lands. In a couple of hours he'll be gobbling his head off for the hens he used to having with him. Get to him quick when he starts gobbling and get close before you call. I hunted a bird ten years ago who gobbled extermely early before daylight and always had hens with him.   This was  how I got him.
Good Luck!   
this is right.

Footballer

Did you get him?

I've found that birds like this usually require a deer hunting approach. A blind of some kind is a must b/c of all the eyes, especially since he will likely be the last to pass your location.

I agree with everyone about the jake decoy. I'd also put out an alerted hen and if the gobbler doesn't come running to the jake, get aggressive with the lead hen and she will likely drag him to you,

Dylan T

Yeah - what happened?! Would love to see!

:turkey2: