OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

best crow call

Started by slave601, February 12, 2011, 11:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neal

Quote from: t_eagen13 on February 12, 2011, 11:53:46 AM
I got a new custom Hook's Harrison crow call for this spring. It looks great and is as real sounding as I've heard, and boy is it loud!

Love mine!! Got a maple one to match my Hoot n Stick :z-flirtysmile3:
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Chester

Hooks has a great crow call.

wvboy

I have not tried the Hooks one.. but I like my Haydel Crow call it is tunable, it replaced the primos power crow for me about 4 years ago.. It makes em gobble when they don't want to.  They key is getting that high pitch I think.
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

ncturkey

PM sent
Quote from: doepee on February 13, 2011, 10:23:59 AM
Quote from: WVFrid on February 12, 2011, 01:39:01 PM
I have both, a Hooks crow and Michael Buckner crow call. Of the two I like the buckner call the best.
Is the one from hooks the synthetic crow call? and where can you contact Michael Buckner for a crow call?  Thanks

ncturkey

I have two custom crow callers. I have one from Michael Buckner and one from Darrel Gibson. Both sound great for making turkeys gobble. I do plan on tring one from Hooks.

savduck

I have an old Haydels that is tough to beat. Also blew a Gibson custom one time that was really good, just didnt have the money to pay for it.
Georgia Boy

FttFttVroom!

Crow calls work well here in OK.  When I wear my Quaker Boy crankin' crow out, it'll be a new Hooks call to replace her.

hookedspur

Quote from: t_eagen13 on February 12, 2011, 11:53:46 AM
I got a new custom Hook's Harrison crow call for this spring. It looks great and is as real sounding as I've heard, and boy is it loud!
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Eric Gregg

I have the Primos Orange and Black crow call as well.  I bought it this past week and used it for messing around with some crows while squirrel hunting.  I had crows coming in from every direction.  I am sure a custom call would be better, but for the money it works.

I like how you can adjust the rasp of the call.  I noticed that the crows that were circling over head all had different tones.  I was able to mimic what I heard with that call.

Deadly Attraction

I feel if you are looking for the best crow call it is foolish not to put Darrell Gibson's call at the top of your list. The other calls you have mentioned are all fine calls but Darrell has made the finest sounding crow calls for many years. Ask any good crow hunter and they will own a Gibson crow call. At the Grand National Callmaker's Contest 2011 Deadly Attraction Game Calls crow call won 1st and 5th in a contest containing many of the calls you have mentioned. So I feel that our crow call should be included in the list of best crow calls also. By the way Mr.Gibson taught me to build and tune a crow call once again affirming his spot at the top of the list.

Executioner

Own a Gibson and it's a fine crow call, but I can make the Hook's sound as real as it gets. God bless.
"Confidence in your God given abilities adds more turkeys to your daily limit" Mike Miller "The Turkey Killer" Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your hearts desires. Psalm 37:4

shootumindaface

Quote from: Executioner on February 25, 2011, 07:45:12 PM
Own a Gibson and it's a fine crow call, but I can make the Hook's sound as real as it gets. God bless.
Yup are we calling crows or making turkeys gobble..

I cant count the number of times I have had a real crow sound off, nothing, Hit the Harrison BOOM Gobble... 

RaspyD

Quote from: nstrut on February 13, 2011, 02:43:58 PM
the old wood Lohman crow call i have used many others but this old wood call will make them gobble when others won't
I've used that same Lohman crow call for as long as I can remember...haven't found one I like any better.  I think it has more to do with the person using the call.  You can't just blow into a crow call and expect to sound like a crow.  It definitely takes some practice to sound realistic.
Perfection Turkey Calls

turkeytromp

I have a couple gibson calls and they sound great, however for the money now the Faulk C-50 is one of the best sounding calls I have ever used and I have killed over a 100 crows last year using it, so if it lures the crows in for me it has to be good on locating for gobblers this spring!