turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

best crow call

Started by slave601, February 12, 2011, 11:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

i use the primos orange and black crow call. it sounds pretty good but was gonna see what yall favored
"thinnin the flock"

t_eagen13

I got a new custom Hook's Harrison crow call for this spring. It looks great and is as real sounding as I've heard, and boy is it loud!

Basser69

I have been told that the hooks is really loud

shootumindaface

Unlike alot of people a crow call is a huge part of my hunting style.. I have found two crow calls in my life that worked 80% of the time.. When Scott sent me the Harrison I though No way could it replace the one I had that worked so well..

Well its what I carry now, it worked as well as the former one that I went through so many calls to find..

Its about volume and pitch

hunter22

Quote from: hunter22 on February 12, 2011, 12:37:37 PM
The Hooks call made by James Harrison is definitely loud and proud. Other good crow calls I have were made by Jack Mincey and Michael Buckner.

slave601

sounds like hooks is the way to go with everything!
"thinnin the flock"

RutnNStrutn

To my experience, turkeys rarely shock gobble to crow calls. At least where I hunt they don't. Tons of crows, so I guess they are used to it? ??? I carry a crow call, but have never had any luck with it.

t_eagen13

Quote from: slave601 on February 12, 2011, 12:51:03 PM
sounds like hooks is the way to go with everything!

This was my first year with any experience with Hook's. I had read on here about how great their calls and customer service were and was wondering if they really were as good as advertised and decided to try them out. I wanted a new custom owl hooter and crow call to match so I called Hook's to see if they could work something out with me. While on the phone with me, Scott(the owner) called callmaker James Harrison to ask if he could make me a matching owl and crow call and he said it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe I got lucky he had some extra matching wood around to make my crow call, but I think that just goes to show they have their priorities set the right way. They didn't have to work anything out with me. They have a synthetic and osage wood owl and crow calls. It would have been easy for them to tell me that's all they had available and not worry about getting me a custom crow to match. The fact that they care enough about their customers to go out of their way to make them happy is why I will be a Hook's customer from now on. It's also why I spent some more to buy a slate, box, few mouth calls, and a hat too, whoops!

In short, yeah you can't go wrong with Hook's.

bowhunter32

have primos power crow green ond the lohman gold series...x2 on not had much luck making a turkey gobble..

KYFrid

I have both, a Hooks crow and Michael Buckner crow call. Of the two I like the buckner call the best.

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

shootumindaface

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 12, 2011, 01:25:20 PM
To my experience, turkeys rarely shock gobble to crow calls. At least where I hunt they don't. Tons of crows, so I guess they are used to it? ??? I carry a crow call, but have never had any luck with it.
IME yes they are used to it.. A crow call that is tuned a touch higher and much louder "shocks" them into gobbling.. Numerous times I have had a crow blast next to me with nothing and hit a call tuned higher and louder and hear a gobble..

HARDCORE

Hook's for locating turkeys, Jack Mincey for crow hunting.

HC

Executioner

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 12, 2011, 03:37:29 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 12, 2011, 01:25:20 PM
IME yes they are used to it.. A crow call that is tuned a touch higher and much louder "shocks" them into gobbling.. Numerous times I have had a crow blast next to me with nothing and hit a call tuned higher and louder and hear a gobble..
Exactly right. This crow call is simply AMAZING for making one gobble. God bless.
"Confidence in your God given abilities adds more turkeys to your daily limit" Mike Miller "The Turkey Killer" Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your hearts desires. Psalm 37:4

dodger

Natural voice... An its loud too...