turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with setting up a 870 for a newbie

Started by RiverRoost, January 23, 2020, 01:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Got a customer just getting into turkey hunting and trying to get him all set up from scratch. He's going to get a 870 20 ha youth since his grandson may be in on some shooting too. I know personally my RSF choke works extremely well with handloaded tss but what in store TSS would y'all recommend and choke for that gun to keep it simple finding shells for him if he runs out? I know it's a lot of those guns being run so hoping for some help on the most effective yet simple to put together setup for him. He doesn't have access to handloads although I could be his supplier of them but want something if he runs out he isn't relying on catching up with me to be able to go hunting. Thanks for the help

Big Pine

I've had great luck with federal tss and Carlson .568 longbeard choke. In my gun your not going to win any number counting in a 10" circle contest but it throws a really even 20" pattern at 40 yards that is very forgiving.

tracker#1

I'm using Apex GT-20, 3" and Hal's recipe hand loads 3" both shoot great. Running a IC .555 in the 20" barrel and Sumtoy .562, .570 RR in the 26" barrel. Using TSS #8s in both loads. I lead off with that ammo but back up next two rounds with cheaper Win, LB # 6s. I started out using a Carlson .575 which was decent with LB #6. Remember all guns perform different...Foxtrot makes some excellent ammo also.