OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Conditioning a pot call

Started by treein dixie, May 24, 2019, 12:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treein dixie

I was told to get the dry wall screen at the hardware store.  I asked what texture?  Was told it only came in one!  Arrive at Hardware and the have two coarse & fine.  I spoke with another gentlemen who said it was all wrong that you use the plumbers screen that you use to clean copper pipes, I looked at it and its 180grit.  So which do you use on a glass call. 
I'm already aware of the stone stick, I need another piece of screen?

Confused Thanks!!!

Bowguy

I'd use 80-100 grit. Remember on glass/crystal you only sand one way. Say from 9 o'clock position to 3.
You run striker 12-6 more or less. Don't go back n forth you're trying to build grooves not sand em off

MDTOM84

I use 120 and 180 on my glass surfaces.

treein dixie

But is it dry wall screen or plumbers screen?? Thanks

Bowguy

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Bowguy on May 24, 2019, 06:24:49 AM
I'd use 80-100 grit. Remember on glass/crystal you only sand one way. Say from 9 o'clock position to 3.
You run striker 12-6 more or less. Don't go back n forth you're trying to build grooves not sand em off
Never knew this, always went back and fourth though always from 9 to 3
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeytider

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 24, 2019, 08:39:54 PM
Never knew this, always went back and fourth though always from 9 to 3

Me too. I watched David Halloran condition pots by using a stone back and forth between 9 and 3. I always figured he knows what he's doing.

Bowguy

Other makers go only one way. Does that mean they don't know what they're doing? Do what you like and what works. Point is you want grooves not to sand them off. Back n forth could certainly wipe em off

Turkeytider

Quote from: Bowguy on May 25, 2019, 05:44:34 AM
Other makers go only one way. Does that mean they don't know what they're doing? Do what you like and what works. Point is you want grooves not to sand them off. Back n forth could certainly wipe em off

I sense you took offense to my post. None was intended. " Other makers go only one way. Does that mean they don`t know what they`re doing ? "  No, not at all, and I didn`t mention any other makers, only David Halloran. Like so many things, literally different strokes for different folks.

Bowguy

None offense was felt or taken. David is a great maker. I never saw him condition both ways. Personally I feel if you go both you'd have to ensure you're not just smoothing it out. And if smoothing it out works for you God bless ya. The forum is for everyone's ideas.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Bowguy on May 25, 2019, 07:50:54 AM
None offense was felt or taken. David is a great maker. I never saw him condition both ways. Personally I feel if you go both you'd have to ensure you're not just smoothing it out. And if smoothing it out works for you God bless ya. The forum is for everyone's ideas.

Great to hear, Bowguy! If you`re interested, I didn`t see him condition pots in person. YouTube video, it sounded like he might have been at some sort of meeting or convention.

JLH

I perfer a stone, and go back ad forth from 9 to 3...

Been doing it that wsy for yesrs and never have a problem with grip or playing.

If i were to use sandpaer, id perfer to stay around 180 grit....either emory cloth or drywall screen.

The key with anything that you use to condition, is to always use fresh stuff. Sandpaper, scotchbrite etc wesrs out with use....to more you use it, the less grit it will have....thats when you stsrt "polishing" or smoothing out what you are trying to rough up.

M,Yingling

if i want a little raspier sound ill use a stone then dry wall screen  high pitched scotch pad  i like condition every which way i dont want have worry about striking across a surface a certain way  ,,, dont OVER THINK  conditioning a surface if its easy running call any way is going to work LOL   
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

1iagobblergetter

I agree. Was told this years ago from a competent callmaker.Makes sense and works well for me.

idgobble

Take a look at the topic I just posted titled " Scotch-Brite Grit Chart". I use brown for everything and certainly 9 to 3 is the best way. Preston Pittman was pretty adamant about using brown.