OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

turkey was in the pine tree

Started by Life of Riley, May 20, 2019, 04:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BABS9

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but why you got up to move knowing you had a bird at 60 yards on the roost is beyond me. That close you 100% would hear him fly down. I have seen multiple times where birds stay up in the roost later on rainy days. He would have come down sooner or later. One bird I shot opening day a few years ago didn't fly down until almost 2 hours after what they normally would. Rainy day. He gobbled once time on the limb and that was it. I knew he was there and waited him out. Eventually flew down for a 40 yard shot. PATIENCE!

Manoflaw

Quote from: Southerngobbler on May 21, 2019, 12:27:24 PM
He probably stayed up in the tree because he heard you approaching in the dark. Either way you have to have way more patience than that, 6:30 is way to early to give up or make a move when your that close to the roost and haven't identified a fly down.

Agreed

Prospector

Years ago something very similar..... and ,yes, late season. Actually roosted the bird. Tucked in close. 1-2 early gobbles then silence. I called a few times. The morning dragged on and I heard nothing more... finally, lost patience and got up.... Just as he sailed down and landed right in front of me. Saw me, did the touch n go, and was gone... he finally decided to "check" on that lonely little hen but I needed 30seconds more patience and I would have had a shot. If I recall it was over 2 hrs after normal fly down. My theory is he was a wary old bird waiting on the hen to show herself and he finally lost patience but a few seconds AFTER I did.... Lol, beards sure look thicker and longer on birds that get away.....
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!