OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Spur Gauge/Measurement Tool?

Started by husker, April 26, 2019, 01:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

$15??!!. They need to change the name from Spur Gauge to Spur Gouge!!   :z-dizzy:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

sixbird

Hah! EXACTLY!!!
I won't buy one just out of principle!

wchadw

Quote from: FullChoke on February 28, 2020, 02:14:39 PM
$15??!!. They need to change the name from Spur Gauge to Spur Gouge!!   :z-dizzy:

FC
Yes. I thought it was a cool idea and I looked at sight and saw the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

To each their own.  I purchased the bearded buck spur gauge and use it a good bit.  Plenty of folks spend money on turkey hunting stuff here on OG that I wouldn't buy.  It's all about what it's worth to the individual.  Functionality is an individual's perception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tail Feathers

My lies are more believable if I don't know the real spur length.  T
:toothy9:
I carry one of those small plastic round tape measures in my vest. Less than ounce.  I got them as a gimme at a seminar.   I carry one in my deer bag too.  We have minimum antler size restrictions here. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Zobo

I agree with Meleagris, maybe I'm crazy but it seems like a good tool. A metal tape is a pain in the neck and really won't give you an accurate measurement on something so small and curved. That's why I bought a tailors tape and it is pretty good but it cost just about as much as that little spur tool
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Sir-diealot

Try using a paper tape or metal measuring tape when your hands have been messed up, harder than you may think. Now try taking pictures of the spurs with a measuring tape or cloth tape for the contests we do on your own, not easy with a body and hands that work, now try having my problems, the tool makes it much easier.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yelper

Quote from: Tail Feathers on July 01, 2021, 05:55:17 PM
My lies are more believable if I don't know the real spur length.  T
:toothy9:
I carry one of those small plastic round tape measures in my vest. Less than ounce.  I got them as a gimme at a seminar.  I carry one in my deer bag too.  We have minimum antler size restrictions here.

The only way your gonna be able to verify if you shot a buck meeting the antler size restriction is after you shoot him. HMMMMM  ;D

GobbleNut

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on July 01, 2021, 04:33:45 PM
Plenty of folks spend money on turkey hunting stuff here on OG that I wouldn't buy.  It's all about what it's worth to the individual.  Functionality is an individual's perception.

:angel9:  How true!  I've got a whole chest of drawers and a few shoe boxes full of stuff that I thought, at one time or another, I just couldn't live without.  Which brings up an idea:  Maybe we should have a swap section here on OG where we can trade each other some of the junk we have all bought that ended up in a drawer somewhere.   I know I have plenty to go around!   ;D :toothy9: :newmascot:

3bailey3

silvestris

Quote from: bbcoach on April 30, 2019, 07:00:57 AM
I've got a couple in my garage, they are called tape measures.  Guesstamation works too for the TALL tales.

:thanks:

On a later post in this thread, why do some people place a decoy in their kill photos?  Puzzleling?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Old Timer

I`m old school. I use a Washington, it`s 6 inches long and fold it in half 3inches fold again 1.5. Then on the way home from the hunt I can use it to get a cup of coffee. No guff!

RutnNStrutn

I use an old cloth tape like the ones that a seamstress uses. I cut off 15" of it and keep it rolled up with my gear. It works great for measuring spurs and beards. I almost screwed myself though with the 15" length when I shot a gobbler with nearly a 14" beard!! Who knew?

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

eddie234

Spending as much as I do on calls, shells license and everything else Turkey related buying this was a drop in the bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3bailey3