turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wood Question

Started by Coldtrain, May 02, 2011, 01:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coldtrain

I have been thinking about starting to make a couple of calls.  I have been finally came up with some old wood, but am curious as if it will work or not.  We recently took down part of our old deer camp and I held on to some of the lumber.  My question is, "Is old rough cut oak decent for making calls?  This stuff is about 50 or 60 years old.  Also, how about old cedar posts?  An old barn at the house finally gave way and one of the corner supports was an old cedar post that is probably at least 70 or 80 years old.  How good would this lumber be for calls?

stone road turkey calls

I have two old barns and a few old buildings that i get oak, cedar, heart pine, ect. these buildings are up to 150 years old, the wood makes real nice calls and strikers. just be careful if the wood has cracks or nail holes in it, if there not to deep they just add to the beauty, to deep and the call may come apart on the lathe. the wood should be fine for call making, show us some pictures when you get done   
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

pappy

That cedar is a treasure, especially if it has been exposed for any length of time, the oak is fine too, but in my opion (which is worth 2 cenrts) if you plan on making anyking of box call use the cedar or do some trading for a call cause I have seen some fence posts long boxes go for 100.00 - 175.00 each out of seasoned cedar...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

TarheelTurk

I hadnt been @ this long but i've turned a few from some old oak from a barn & a old barn door as well, both turned out decent sounding and looked good also. Cedar will work great, idk why but i love making cedar calls. Like Pappy said that cedar is a treasure.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL