turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Striker tip cleaning

Started by Ozark Ridge Runner, May 10, 2019, 05:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozark Ridge Runner

Do any of you gentlemen use a solvent like acetone or mek to clean a striker tip? i never have but I could see where it might be of benefit on certain strikers.

turkey_slayer

No. All I do is hold a knife blade at 90 degrees to the tip and drag it across a few times. Cleans it and gives it bite

Sir-diealot

Have always used Scotchbright pad or very fine grit sandpaper myself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

zelmo1

I have done both above. Do what works for you

Greg Massey

Scotchbrite only ... that's all i ever do ... if you buy quality strikers no need for anything else as far as cleaning the tips ...

saverx

ATROX

Yes the green scotch brite is what I use

Twowithone

Scotch brite all the way.    :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

hush

Scotchbrite green. Cut a few squares before the season and shove them in different pockets of my vest. Always have one or two when I need them.

wchadw

I use the red scotch brite if I can find it. Think it works a little better than the green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

On new strikers, depending on the wood - I've used an alcohol swab to try to remove any oil residue from the wood itself. Once the striker is in use, I'll touch it up every once in a great while with some 220 sandpaper. (I put the sandpaper in the palm of my hand and lightly press the tip and rotate - careful not to change the shape, just remove the buildup).

Depending on the wood, sometimes the scotch-brite pad polishes more than cleans - which is not what you really want.

Triple B

Quote from: SteelerFan on May 12, 2019, 10:12:21 AM
On new strikers, depending on the wood - I've used an alcohol swab to try to remove any oil residue from the wood itself. Once the striker is in use, I'll touch it up every once in a great while with some 220 sandpaper. (I put the sandpaper in the palm of my hand and lightly press the tip and rotate - careful not to change the shape, just remove the buildup).

Depending on the wood, sometimes the scotch-brite pad polishes more than cleans - which is not what you really want.

Exactly what I do. As long as you don't grind on the tip with the sandpaper, as I have some people do. Which if done enough, will change the pitch of the striker.
Scotch brite can put a shine on the tip of some strikers, but a little tlc with 220 gets the bite back.
As Steeler fan mentioned...lightly is the key with sandpaper.