OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

High humidity

Started by Southerngobbler, April 13, 2019, 05:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: Chris O on April 17, 2019, 01:31:24 PM
I play all surfaces all year long and during High humidity times. The trick for me is to let the call breathe outside of a pocket. Lay it on something and let the call get used to the conditions before you try to play it. Carbon or synthetic strikers help with this a bunch. I have played in 90 degree temperatures and 80% humidity with every surface. That is taking them out of the air conditioning straight into the heat. You can watch slate start drying out after while then you can play it. Copper sweats for a while but you can wipe it off but once it quits sweating you can play it. I still have problems if it's hot and I pull a call from my vest pocket and try to play it. Maybe a mesh pocket that would let a call breathe before you got to your spot would help this. I heard one person say he leaves his hunting calls in his truck overnight to adjust to the climate, it might work great but I would forget them
I agree with some of what your saying , but by the time it drys out it could be to late on that early morning gobbler ... I seen them take over hour before you can play them on those humid morning and also those foggy morning ... Just waiting for one to dry out and thinking, will the gobbler wait on my pot call to dry just doesn't work in my opinion ...

outdoors

I have a couple of methods I do
More importantly  is why I use a TRUMPET 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

fountain2

Ceramic is the answer.  I have a ton of standard 2pc strikers and I took one as a test dummy and dipped the tip in JB weld.  It works great and plays great on my ceramic call.  That's a combo that works very well with high humidity.

Chris O

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 18, 2019, 09:10:11 AM
Quote from: Chris O on April 17, 2019, 01:31:24 PM
I play all surfaces all year long and during High humidity times. The trick for me is to let the call breathe outside of a pocket. Lay it on something and let the call get used to the conditions before you try to play it. Carbon or synthetic strikers help with this a bunch. I have played in 90 degree temperatures and 80% humidity with every surface. That is taking them out of the air conditioning straight into the heat. You can watch slate start drying out after while then you can play it. Copper sweats for a while but you can wipe it off but once it quits sweating you can play it. I still have problems if it's hot and I pull a call from my vest pocket and try to play it. Maybe a mesh pocket that would let a call breathe before you got to your spot would help this. I heard one person say he leaves his hunting calls in his truck overnight to adjust to the climate, it might work great but I would forget them
I agree with some of what your saying , but by the time it drys out it could be to late on that early morning gobbler ... I seen them take over hour before you can play them on those humid morning and also those foggy morning ... Just waiting for one to dry out and thinking, will the gobbler wait on my pot call to dry just doesn't work in my opinion ...
I agree with what you are saying. I hardly ever get to my spot long enough to let my call adjust either. When I get there and one messes up I ditch it and move to another one . I like the hand warmer idea