OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weaver base ?

Started by joshua, February 12, 2011, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua

Do you use a weaver base for the marlin mount or is it a direct screw on for a 835 or 870.  Both guns are tapped from the factory.  Pics would be appreciated.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

gobbler74

Joshua,

Pm sent and since so many have asked what rails are needed on tapped guns I put a little help on that scope post..The top 3 that have been asked about any way. :icon_thumright:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

CntrlPA

Could i also get a copy of that PM! I'm looking to have my 870 drilled and tapped soon. I wont be able to swing a fastfire this year so i'll be using a millet tube style red dot with a weaver rail. My question is, is there anyway i can get my gun drilled now and use the millet that would be the same for a fastfire with the marlin mount? or would it require a separate set of holes to be drilled? Thanks

paladin

maybe you call reuse the holes. The marlin mount uses 8-40 threads 1/2" apart.
What does your "millet" use? are you talking about millet rings? are you mounting a scope or what?
"have gun-will travel"

CntrlPA

Quote from: paladin on February 12, 2011, 12:58:47 PM
maybe you call reuse the holes. The marlin mount uses 8-40 threads 1/2" apart.
What does your "millet" use? are you talking about millet rings? are you mounting a scope or what?

Thats what i'm hoping to do. I'll be drilling and tapping my gun so i can add a weaver base to attach the millet scope and rings. Does the Marlin mount utilize a weaver base? If so, i was hoping to find a base that i could use for both the millet and the marlin mount in the future. sorry if i'm not making a lot of sense, no one around here has a marlin mount i can look at. Thanks

paladin

You can buy the fastfire with a weaver/picatinny mount or buy it with no mount and buy a marlin mount.
The marlin is a flat top gun with two holes (8-40) in line with the bore. The marlin mount is used in place of the weaver base.
It places the sight lower than when used with a weaver bases. It also makes the entire sight lighter.

The weaver bases for a fast fire will work fine.
The marlin will work better and requires only two holes.
"have gun-will travel"

joshua

I posted this question in the scope thread but does anyone know if the 336 marlin mount will fit in the factory drilled holes for a Rem 870 or is the weaver rail and pictanny mount needed.  I see where it will fit the 835s just wondering if it will fit the 870s.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.