OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Striker question

Started by Oldschoolboxcalls, March 28, 2019, 06:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldschoolboxcalls

What's everyone's opinion on having one striker for one type of pot call. Does it really matter if you use the same striker on say a slate call and then use the same striker on an aluminum call. Could swear I saw somewhere once that it's recommended to only use the same striker for the same call all the time. But perhaps that was just a gimmick to get people to buy more strikers. What's you're opinion on this??

MDTOM84

I use my Lyman dymondwood on everything

SteelerFan

A dedicated striker would probably be good for contest calling, but certainly not practical or necessary for hunting. I use all strikers on all surfaces that they'll play on. I will routinely touch up the striker tip to remove excess build up of any surface material.

Shoebuck

Use the one that sounds best no matter what type.

bbcoach

No dedicated strikers for my pots.  If it sounds good and gets a response that is the one I use.  Most of my strikers do double, triple and so on duty.  Besides I want different sounds coming from each call and a different striker changes the sound.  I just try to keep the tips as clean and roughed up as possible.

Harty

I have a handful of strikers that work overtime on multiple surfaces

zsully

I usually carry two pots and three strikers. All of the strikers run on both pots but if I pull the slate out first my striker will be different then if I pull the crystal out. I just like to go with my best combo right out of the gate.

Sir-diealot

The only striker I have ever gone after for one pot was a Stuckey purple heart for my Mad Super Crystal, I just really like the way they sound together and I fell and lost my purple heart striker (Not a Stuckey) that came with it last year.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

outdoors

This year I received a bloodwood striker and it sounds GOOD on every call I played it on.  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

M,Yingling

I carry 3 strikers a 2 piece dymond wood a fiber rod and black locust neither striker has been conditioned for long time and each will run every surface out their if a call dont run with one of the 3 strikers the call dont come along ,,i hate calls that will only run with that special striker made for it ,,,my strikers have not been conditioned in a long time to me once u get over that little hump with the tip  with no conditioning striker tip they  just run great with all the build up on the tip
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Buckrub

I normally carry a few pots, but, numerous strikers. Different strikers can oft times enhance a calls tone and rasp. You never know how a gobbler will react to specific sounds. Variety can make the difference !!