OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 Jammed Shell w.pic

Started by gatrapper, March 23, 2019, 10:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Went turkey hunting this morning. When to unload my gun and now I have a shell stuck with another shell coming out of the magazine and it is pushing on the shell that is ejecting. Any tips on how to remedy this situation?

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

wvspitndrum

Remove tube cap , remove barrel,  remove spring retainer and spring (BE VERY CAREFUL , IT HAS SOME POWER BEHIND IT)

M,Yingling

my 535 was good for that when i tried to empty it slow into my hand learned to just pump them out onto the ground ,,, 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

nyhunter

Quote from: M,Yingling on March 23, 2019, 10:49:33 AM
my 535 was good for that when i tried to empty it slow into my hand learned to just pump them out onto the ground ,,, 

My 870 SM will do this also, don't be gentle when your unloading it, i kneel on the ground hold my gun so the shells won't go fling and just pump it.

SteelerFan

Double feed, like said above, happens on a short stroke. You can disassemble like wvspitndrum said, or use a straight screw driver to grab the edge (base) of the brass on the bottom shell and guide it back into the magazine, until the retainer grabs and holds it (use your finger to fully insert it back into the magazine). Top shell will then fall free.

The 870 was the popular police shotgun, and as a firearms instructor for 20+ yrs, I've seen my share of "oops".

Clydetaylor1

Just go ahead and pump it and don't slow pump it. Happens on 3 1/2 shells usually when I've killed a bird and go to take shot shell out.

roberthyman14

I just did this a couple days ago.  Just pushed everything back into the tube with my finger.  Gotta rack it hard to eject correctly. 

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Clydetaylor1

Think I read something about changing the ejector with a new machine one.

g8rvet

I too use the "pry the one forward method".

My son used to short shuck on ducks sometimes.  I told him to shuck it like it owes you money. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

LaLongbeard

Happens sometimes with the Express or even SM versions. The stamped extracter sometimes slips on the shell rim not ejecting and another shell comes up into the chamber causing a jam. You can shuck it with more force like mentioned or install a machined extracter which will grab and eject the shell no matter how slow you shuck the forend. I've never had the problem on my Wingmaster and it's ejected hundreds if not thousands of shells.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

g8rvet

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 23, 2019, 06:19:06 PM
Happens sometimes with the Express or even SM versions. The stamped extracter sometimes slips on the shell rim not ejecting and another shell comes up into the chamber causing a jam. You can shuck it with more force like mentioned or install a machined extracter which will grab and eject the shell no matter how slow you shuck the forend. I've never had the problem on my Wingmaster and it's ejected hundreds if not thousands of shells.

Only happened a couple of times on my old Express(80's model), but my son has had it happen a bunch on a newer one that he won in a clay shoot (00's model).  Probably crappier extractors.  The machined ones are not expensive and super easy install.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Clydetaylor1

Anybody have it happen with any shell other than 3 1/2"  ?

roberthyman14

Quote from: Clydetaylor1 on March 23, 2019, 09:29:23 PM
Anybody have it happen with any shell other than 3 1/2"  ?
Oh yeah. If I try to rack it slow it jams no matter shell length. Gotta snatch it good that last little bit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Gobspur