turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Member SBEII need advice.

Started by Marty Griffin, March 12, 2019, 10:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty Griffin

New Member. 55 yrs old, Havent got to Turkey Hunt in 3 yrs. Shoot a SBEII with a Gobblin Thunder .665 with Winchester LB #5. ( Have a few of the old Supreme Elite left).. Is the Federal TSS a much better product? Its priced at what the Supreme Elite was for half the bullets? I'm all ears.

sixbird

I wouldn't use TSS or hevi shot through that choke. They weren't designed for heavier than lead ammo.
I know you'll get varying opinions on this but I spoke directly to Kicks and they recommended against the heavier than lead ammo. I would assume TSS would fall into that category...

sixbird

If you have doubts, call Kicks. Better safe than sorry...

jryser

It depends on how you define "better" - I'm a big fan of the SBEII and shot many many turkeys with mine with Win Supreme lead 5's at various yardage including a very long 70 yard shot when I first started turkey hunting. I would never take a shot like that again as my excitement and misjudged distance ability got the best of me. I just got lucky.

That being said I now limit to 40 yards and in - in a perfect world I wanna smell his breath - but roll my own TSS shells. Why?  More pellets 9 TSS energy wise = 5 lead, and therefore more pellets = better killing odds. 

That's the reason I prefer TSS - better odds of a fast lethal kill at the edge of my range. I have no desire to kill further although you can.

Lead kills em dead too. TSS just gives you an advantage. It's also expensive but in the grand scheme of things it's negligible.

Let us know how you do!  I'm using my Benelli 28 UL in Florida next week with 28ga TSS #9 loads I rolled myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty Griffin

Thank you for the reply. I need to bite the bullet and go get some of the Fed TSS. I'm like you, I've had some success with long shots (several over 60), and am entertaining the thought of more shot at the same distance. I thought I would never see anything like the Kick's choke coupled with Supreme Elite, but this TSS has my attention.

jryser

Good luck and let us know how u do. https://youtu.be/TiuGBhBY_Jc

Go to 16:10 and watch a 20 ga load of TSS 7 1/2 (smallest legal size in Indiana) do its magic.

Marty Griffin

Nice solo hunt. Love the Auto 5!! Every gun cabinet ought to have one. TSS I'm going to try!

jryser

Quote from: Marty Griffin on March 13, 2019, 02:02:50 AM
Nice solo hunt. Love the Auto 5!! Every gun cabinet ought to have one. TSS I'm going to try!
Awesome!!!  I have a few Auto 5's! 

rdjustham

I patterned the Federal TSS 3"#9s in my sbe2 with a 650 sumtoy choke along with Hevi-13 #7s.  Comparing the targets side by side, i couldnt really tell a difference in the two.  I know the tss 9s have more pellets in them than the Hevi 7s do, but the patterns for both were so tight i cant say i saw the two dollars a shell difference.  Just my .02

Marty Griffin

Thanks. I'm thinking the 3"as well for the SBE II. The super 90 did well with the Hevi-Shot when that was all there was. Ready to try the updated ammo, thank you guys for your replies.

tha bugman

The TSS IMO is worth every penny.  I would try an Indian Creek Choke.

Marty Griffin

I tried a Black Diamond Indian Creek; used it in a SBE II and a new SBE III. The old Gobblin Thunder kicked it around lol. I do believe the Indian Creek is a great choke, just sold on Kicks for my Benelli's.

SumToy

I would stay with the long beard in the 12 or go on a make the big step into the Nitro or Apex.  I dont like the federal in a 12 now in a 20 they work good. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

1iagobblergetter

Id just stick with what you have and kill them at 40yds and under. It makes more of a sport out of it instead of a snipe.

Vinci1964

I don't know if this helps but I have a super Vinci that would put over 100 pellets with 3.5 inch LBXR #5 at 60 yds in a 10 inch circle.  That was with a carlsonsons LBXR choke 0.665 I think.  That is the best I had with copper plated lead.

I switched to a shorter turkey gun this year with FEDERAL TSS 3" #9. it is a game changer. Over. 200 in the 10 ring at 40 yards. I don't think I will ever go back to lead.