OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

HELP- LAST WEEKEND OF SEASON

Started by wcgobbler, April 29, 2011, 12:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcgobbler

I have an old gobbler that gobbles good from the roost but won't answer and likes to stay in the tree waaaay after daylight.  As far as I could tell, he was still in tree @ 8:15 this morning, & the weather here is beautiful.  And, he has no hens that I can hear.  I've tried scratching in the leaves, fly-down with a wing, not calling, etc...Season goes out May 1, so I gotta move fast.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

jyoung

wcgobbler,

In my experience, if he is staying in the tree that long for no apparent reason, he has been buggered.  There are all kinds of scenarios, but if you know where he roost and where we flies down then set up in the direction he is traveling and do not say a word until he hits the ground. Not a peep!  Don't owl or anything.  Let the bird tell you what kind of mood he is in.  Then after he flies down call like a content feeding hen with no interest in him.  Just suddle feeding yelps and cluck n purrs.  He may not gobble, but he may come check you out so be looking.  It's hard to give advice on a keyboard because there are sooooo many situations that occur that you just can't explain by typing.  Good luck man!  Stick with him.
Jonathan Young

Basser69

I have seen birds that would stay in the tree until they saw hens feeding towards them and only then would they fly down.

kyhareraiser

hey ,sneak in when he's good and sleepy ,set up a couple decoys near him so he can see them and maybe he will fly down right in your lap.. if he's looking for hens b4 he flys down,i would give him some to look at..decoys bring in the nervous toms once they get a eye set on them and they worry about nuthin' more but kickin' that birds(clyde, my jake decoy) tailfeathrs  that's with bonnie (my hen decoy)..sho got a gobbler in trouble yesterday