OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester HV #5's?

Started by SR1, April 28, 2011, 09:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SR1

I patterned my 835 with Winchester HV 3 1/2in 2oz lead 5's yesterday evening with a .680 preston pittman choke that a buddy gave me. I counted 208 pellets in a 10in circle shot at 30 yrds. Is this normal for that load or should I get more at 30 yrds?
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

SumToy

With the HV I think that is good numbers.   :you_rock:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

3" 870 Shell Shucker

There are only about 340 pellets in that shell, but they are double bad.

I've seen the 3" 1.75 ounce HV #5 shells shoot anywhere from 90 to 116 at 40 yards in my 870, and 90-95 at 35 Yards in my BPS.  I have a bunch of those in storage.

SR1

Thanks alot. I have shot this load for years but with a Nu-Line .695  then a .690 JH. This year I got the .680 PP and polished the barrle I could tell it was better then I have ever gotten but wasnt sure if it should be more then what I got. I also have some Heavy-13 #7's that shot real good. Think next yr I am gona get a PG.670 and see if I can squeaze just a bit more out of her.
[/url]

devin4484

best lead load made for turkeys imo.  I shoot 3.5 2 oz no 5 or 6.  My 835 loves em.  I have a kicks .670 gobblin thunder in mine though.

dawei

Winchester® Supreme® High Velocity loads in 12 or 20ga are THE BEST Pb turkey loads made IMHO. I use #4 in my pump and #5 in my SXS.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Fastcat

I agree that Winchester HVs are the best lead load out there.  Before the hevi shot crowd told us all that they were ineffective past 40 yards those loads were killing a lot of turkey at 50+!  No disrespect to hevi its good stuff but its always funny to me how times change!

SR1

Very true I killed one at 55 yrds a few years ago and a buddy killed one that I called in for him at 67 yrds with that shell.
[/url]

TheTwistedOne

I say your doing real good with that load and the 40yd results will probably be 110-120.

Longshanks

Rem 870 21 in barrel .665 Hastings choke: Polished barrel, polished forcing cone.

140-150  in a 12 in  circle today at 30yds with Win HV 1 3/4 6's

*much less with the Win HV 1 3/4 5's..less than 100.

I would say you are doing good...the way my gun shot today i wouldnt shoot past 35yds..

Guess im gonna try the Win Grey Box  1 7/8  5's and 6's tommorrow and see what happens..doesnt get any better im back to Fed  HW 7's  turning  220+ in a 10in circle @ 40.

Longshanks

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on April 29, 2011, 07:03:40 AM
There are only about 340 pellets in that shell, but they are double bad.

I've seen the 3" 1.75 ounce HV #5 shells shoot anywhere from 90 to 116 at 40 yards in my 870, and 90-95 at 35 Yards in my BPS.  I have a bunch of those in storage.

What choke and diameter are you shooting to get those numbers in your 870 with the 5's?? Im shooting .665 hastings and thinking about going to .655 kicks.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteWhat choke and diameter are you shooting to get those numbers in your 870 with the 5's??

Indian Creek BDS .665 / 90-116
Kick's Gobblin' Thunder .665 / 90

SumToy

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on April 30, 2011, 07:57:21 AM
QuoteWhat choke and diameter are you shooting to get those numbers in your 870 with the 5's??

Indian Creek BDS .665 / 90-116
Kick's Gobblin' Thunder .665 / 90

Have you tried the Red one just under that shell.  3-2-5.    I know that the guys around this neck of the woods use it.   They all talk 40 to 50 yards all the time.  I can not get them to talk about the HTL stuff.  They say no need to pay that much. lol
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Longshanks

No, i havent seen the 3-2-5's around here in the stores in awhile.. I have the Win 1 7/8 5's Grey box.  Used to shoot Fed 3-2-5's allot of years ago out of this gun.  Used to pattern my gun at like 25yds and the pattern seemed good.  Killed allot of turkeys with lead 5's, 6's, 4x 6's but was shooting turkeys at 30yd or less.