turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 870 shooting high

Started by Mtnbowhunter, February 19, 2019, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtnbowhunter

Just bought a new 20 gauge (21 inch barrel) from Walmart and I'm a little confused on the way it shoots. With a HS Strut Undertaker .575 choke at 30 yds it will shoot long beard #6 consistently 12 inches high but I put Remington nitro turkey #5 in it and it shoots great. Now here's what confuses me, my wife has the same gun with the same choke and it shoots great with both shells.  The only difference in the guns is her gun is 5 years older with wood stock and mines synthetic all camo. Do you guys have any recommendations on what I can do to get the long beards to shoot out of my gun?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

davisd9

Need to raise your bead or lower your head on the comb, can add an aftermarket bead like truglo.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

DBell

Quote from: Mtnbowhunter on February 19, 2019, 01:24:58 PM
Just bought a new 20 gauge (21 inch barrel) from Walmart and I'm a little confused on the way it shoots. With a HS Strut Undertaker .575 choke at 30 yds it will shoot long beard #6 consistently 12 inches high but I put Remington nitro turkey #5 in it and it shoots great. Now here's what confuses me, my wife has the same gun with the same choke and it shoots great with both shells.  The only difference in the guns is her gun is 5 years older with wood stock and mines synthetic all camo. Do you guys have any recommendations on what I can do to get the long beards to shoot out of my gun?

Just out of curiosity, what are you getting for a pattern with Remington nitros? Probably only thing to help would be aim low or put some adjustable sights on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtnbowhunter

There were 27 pellets in the kill zone with the nitros.  I wouldn't shoot them any further than 30 yds though. The long beards pattern was really good it's just way high and I like to hit right where I'm aiming without having to aim low but that may be the only way lol

Mtnbowhunter

Any reason why her gun will shoot them good  and mine won't?

DBell

Quote from: Mtnbowhunter on February 19, 2019, 01:38:41 PM

Same length barrels?

crow

guns are individuals in what they like best for a choke/load combo.
you could have 2 guns that came off the assembly line one behind the other that will each shoot a different load the best.

like davisd9 said all you need is a taller front bead if your shooting high.

Or put on a set of fiber optic rifle sights, get some cheap dove loads, sight in at 25 yards, then fine tune it with the Longbeards

Mtnbowhunter

Quote from: DBell on February 19, 2019, 02:26:35 PM

Same length barrels?

Both are 21 inches.

crow

you also have 2 different stock designs between your gun and your wife gun.

if you are just shooting with a front bead your face on the stock is your rear sight, so the difference in stock design could cause you to shoot high or low with your gun compared to you shooting your wife gun.

Mtnbowhunter

Quote from: crow on February 19, 2019, 02:33:04 PM

guns are individuals in what they like best for a choke/load combo.
you could have 2 guns that came off the assembly line one behind the other that will each shoot a different load the best.

like davisd9 said all you need is a taller front bead if your shooting high.

Or put on a set of fiber optic rifle sights, get some cheap dove loads, sight in at 25 yards, then fine tune it with the Longbeards
Thanks.  It's crazy how they can shoot so different.  I've shot a 12 ga 870 for yrs and love it but was just wanting a lighter more compact gun to carry.

crow

I went from a 12ga 870 to a 20 gauge 6 seasons ago and they are nice to hunt with

you have a load/choke combo your happy with for the 20 so your almost there, lowering your point of impact is an easy fix

stahl1

I know this is a late reply but I would swap both the chokes out to the other gun and see how they both shoot. If the chokes were manufactured five years apart they may not be exactly identical.