OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weatherby SA-459?

Started by Gobbler2577, February 15, 2019, 12:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbler2577

I have read and re-read the posts here concerning this little gun.  I bought a carlson's 575 and really didnt think about another choke.  My sons Franchi shoots that choke and handloaded TSS wonderfully.  I finally got around to patterning the weatherby and the best it will do is 179 in the ten at 40 yards.  It is a good even hunting pattern and I am not unhappy with it.  My question is should I expect that choke to improve with some shooting?  Also besides a sumtoy 562 what are some other recommendations? 
Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

davisd9

Some guys said the factory choke shot very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gobbler2577

I tried that as well.  It did about 150 and very spotty.

yelpaholic

my set up is the same. carlsons 575 and it puts around 250 in the ten. with handloads 9s.  not sure how the other guys get over 300, tried the sumtoy and it was about the same. both great hunting patterns

FL-Boss

Gobbler - what load are you shooting in your sa-459????

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DrDirtNap

My Weatherby shot similar to yours.  I tried several chokes including the Carlson's 575....I had to go tighter.   Ended up shooting an IC 562 right now.  That's what I've used the last two years.  It will shoot 220-250 with 9s.   I would try a 555 IC if I had one.   Every gun shoots different. 

Gobbler2577

Quote from: FL-Boss on February 15, 2019, 06:38:02 PM
Gobbler - what load are you shooting in your sa-459????

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Its Hals Big 20NC.  1 5/8 oz 9's.  I asked him for the Big 20XL load and got it today.  Will try those when the wads get here. 

Gobbler2577

Quote from: DrDirtNap on February 15, 2019, 07:34:14 PM
My Weatherby shot similar to yours.  I tried several chokes including the Carlson's 575....I had to go tighter.   Ended up shooting an IC 562 right now.  That's what I've used the last two years.  It will shoot 220-250 with 9s.   I would try a 555 IC if I had one.   Every gun shoots different. 

That choke is on sale at midway.  I was going to buy one but felt like 555 may be too tight.  Ordered a 562 sumtoy and hope it will get where I want to be.

robvt3

So far I've tried an IC .555, three different Carlson chokes and a Sumtoy .562 and the Sumtoy has done the best.  It's still not averaging over 300.  I bought a Jebs .555 to try this year but haven't had a chance to test it yet.  Below is the best I got with the Sumtoy.  Probably average 260-270 with it.  Mine seems to like being dirty.

Duffer58

I like the pattern I'm getting out of my 20 ga SA-459 with the Carlson extended tube in 555.  Good balance between close in and long range shots.  I will say the pattern pictures people posted of the Sumtoy tubes are very impressive.  One thing I found beneficial to optimizing my pattern was deep cleaning my barrel.  Here is the link to learn how to do that:

https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

Gobbler2577

The sumtoy 562 came and it is doing very well.  Just over 280 in the 10 and about 500 total in the 20.  It's a little hotter in the core than I wanted but still plenty of even coverage in the 20 so I'm good.  Cant see carrying the 12 again.

rangerGT

I've seen a number of different patterns from this gun. Mine shot tight right from the box.  I did clean it real good and then run alcohol down the barrel before I started patterning.  I just used a bore-snake between shots. 

If anything I would start with a super clean barrel and work from there.  Mine really shot the Big20XL really well and was not as good with some other popular TSS loads so it's just a matter of finding the right combo just like any other gun. 

If you want the super tight 300+ pattern, I would immediately go with the Indian creek or Sumtoy. 

g8rvet

I still have 15 boxes of the Federal HW #7, so no switching anytime soon for me.  But I get high 160s in the 10" at 40 with those and a Trulock choke-it is their Heavyweight choke, it says what the constriction is on the website.  You should be getting much better with TSS 9s.  280 sounds really sporty, so if you like the hot core, you have your load! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.