turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Glued Box

Started by Greg Massey, May 18, 2024, 09:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

How many of you still use a glued box call?     I've not used one in years.

If you still use one who's the call maker?

Do you think a glued box sounds as good as a non-glued box?

Ranman

I still use my Old Lynch Foolproof, turkeys still love it enough to die for..

paboxcall

One of the best short boxes ever made....

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Bottomland OG

I have several of all kinds, different makers. Most are custom made. For hunting I keep a woodhaven all walnut in my vest. Probably the best sounding box I have is a glued short box built by Mr. CR Welch.

boatpaddle

A couple from Ernie Fetters,  a few from Rohm bros. & 2 from Scott Basehore...

Both my all walnut boxes from Ernie & Scott will the the 1 piece calls a run for there money...

As they age, they keep getting better, like fine wine.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

ferocious calls

I make them. From the ones I have played yes I do.

Much faster process, unless blocks/boxes are being done on a CNC, to great sound.

For anyone worried about a sawn and glued Ferocious call; just don't let the birds see the call and they'll never know.

ferocious calls

Also grain orientation has options with glued boxes.

ferocious calls

To the OP. How does your latest glued box acquisition stack up? 

Greg Massey

Quote from: ferocious calls on May 19, 2024, 04:05:33 PMTo the OP. How does your latest glued box acquisition stack up? 

I'm just not a fan of glued boxes ... IMO ...

Zobo

Glued boxes can be as good as any call if you get a good one. I have used Camp calls effectively and also a special Helm sycamore box that has accounted for around 14 gobblers over the past several years.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoder409

From 1990 until 2016, I used ONE (glued) box call for 100% of my hunting.  It was not because I didn't have some really nice, non-glued boxes from some really recognizable names.  It was because this call was......and to this day still is.......absolute DEATH on turkeys.  around 2017, I started to take a different call out here and there.  But my old Hally Caller Deluxe Box has caused more gobblers to die than all the other boxes I've ever used combined......by, probably a factor of 5X.

I've got a good many other glued boxes I'd not hesitate a second to take to the woods.  Calls by:

Lynch
Doug Camp
Kip Feroce
Quaker Boy
Dale Rohm/Rohm Brothers
Ashby
Ben Lee

The list is longer than that......
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ferocious calls

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 19, 2024, 04:21:04 PM
Quote from: ferocious calls on May 19, 2024, 04:05:33 PMTo the OP. How does your latest glued box acquisition stack up? 

Reason?

Greg Massey

Quote from: ferocious calls on May 20, 2024, 06:50:59 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on May 19, 2024, 04:21:04 PM

Reason?

Most don't meet my expectations in the sounds / tone of what I look for in a call for myself.

mountainhunter1

I have a walnut box glued to a bloodwood bottom with a purple heat lid from Dr. Jim Shelly that is one bad machine. I have seen some Dale Rohm boxes that were also excellent. I also know that Kip has some calls that run really well.

Kip - while on this subject, what are the chances compared to a nonglued box for one to come apart in the woods? I have wondered about them as far as strength, but my guess is that is not likely to be an issue.

If a man was only able to buy one of your Ferocious boxes - which one would you recommend to us as the one you would choose to slay birds with?
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

ferocious calls

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on May 20, 2024, 05:53:16 PMI have a walnut box glued to a bloodwood bottom with a purple heat lid from Dr. Jim Shelly that is one bad machine. I have seen some Dale Rohm boxes that were also excellent. I also know that Kip has some calls that run really well.

Kip - while on this subject, what are the chances compared to a nonglued box for one to come apart in the woods? I have wondered about them as far as strength, but my guess is that is not likely to be an issue.

If a man was only able to buy one of your Ferocious boxes - which one would you recommend to us as the one you would choose to slay birds with?
My calls are not coming apart in the woods.

I could not say which I would recommend. That lies in the hunters ear and what they want to hear i.e. loud,soft,strong, clear, raspy, young, adult etc.

I personally run the Full Choke, Sycamore and Loudmouth in Honduran Mahogany many days. New batch of Keystone Killers/Ash over Butternut are looking for a contest. Adult in the front and youth in the back on most of them. 3 on my vest table already.

Hard to go wrong with a Nut Butter/ walnut over butternut. I hunt them as well.

Anyone can pm me and we can find the one that your ear likes best. They all will call birds. Liking the call you play is key.