OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What did you use to kill your first turkey with?

Started by IowaNate, April 28, 2011, 02:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaNate

Since most of us seem to have our first successful turkey hunt etched into our memories, what type of gun, load, choke, and distance was your first turkey taken at? For the old time veterans, use your best recollection  ;)

My first bird was taken in 1996 with an old Remington model 11, fixed full choke, Winchester Upland Heavy Game load (1-1/4oz of #6's at 1330 fps muzzle velocity) and at 45 yards.

I will never forget that bird coming in with 2 of his buddies, one shot put him down, while his buddies decided to peck and spur him for about a minute after the shot.
Lead shooter for life! Know your gun, know your shell, pattern multiple times, know your effective distance, and practice the calls...and the Pb #4's will put 'em down everytime!

gobbler74

My first was in 1985 with a model 67 Springfield pump. That gun is still in my cabinet..The shells were winchester # 6's..not sure of the load.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Hognutz

Model 1300 Winchester. Modified fixed choke. I2ga. Handload. 1986 or so..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Fastcat

I killed my first turkey with a 20 gauge 870 express. It was my first gun. The summer of my twelfth birthday I painted every building on my parents place to pay for it. The shell was a Remington 3" nitro mag #4. I used the factory modified choke and shot the bird at over 50 yards.(It seemed possible to an excited 12 year old.) The hand to spur/wing combat that followed killed the bird! A hunt and shot I will never forget or repeat!!

Gobble!

870 Express
Undertaker Choke Tube .665 I believe
3" Remington Nitro #4s

Come a long way since then

goblr77

I killed my first bird in 1996 with a Mossberg Maverick 88 with a 24" pipe and flush Xfull choke. Gave him a taste of Fed 3" #4's at 30 yards.

davisd9

Mossberg 835 with Ulti-mag full choke, Remington Nitros #5 3.5" @ 15 yards.  It was a jake.  Him and a buddy was walking in to my decoy setup and bam.  When the shot it him it picked him up off the ground and threw him back.  I was jacked up, LOL!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bowhunter84

i was 13-14 years old. mossberg 500 with a imp cyl. choke tube shooting remington heavy dove load #6's.    killed him at 8 yards and still my biggest bird to date

jperrotti

H&R single shot .410 3" who knows what shot. Didn't matter at 10 yards. I was 10.
Remington 870 SPS-T Super Mag .660 JH Nitro 2-1/4 oz. Straight 7's Burris FastFire II

mmusso

Benelli Nova 12ga, factory full choke, 3" Win Supreme HV #5s... two of 'em, the first for the wing, the second tagged his head at 15yds

bencattin

1988 , Remington 1100 2 3/4 inch gun , no camo , fixed full choke and winchester 6 shot turkey load. Calle him in my self and is one of my biggest birds to date.
IF TURKEYS COULD SMELL WE WOULD NEVER KILL ONE!

Gold Spur

In 1990 or 91, used a Browning A5 with a full choke barrel. Ammo was Federal #4, 2 3/4" Magnum shells. The bird had 10.5" beard and 1" spurs.
  I called up two gobblers that came within 30 yds. of me. I took aim at the lead bird and let him have it.
I used a Preston Pittman double reed diaphram to call them up with and was wearing woodland camo fatigues.
  Turkey hunting and hunting gear have really changed since then.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

mossy835

Well last year in late fall in the snow with my Mossey835 UTL Mag with A Carlson's .690 choke and HM 3 inch Mag Blends. Memorable hunt and a needed time away from it all.  :gobble: :fud: :newmascot:

BrowningGuy88

1994, 5 years old. Shooting an old Savage 949C single shot 20 with fixed full choke camo taped and 3" Winchester #6's. Grandpa called in 12 jakes and one walked by under 15 steps (don't remember exact) and I smoked him. The next came 7 years later and I have been on a murderous 2-5 per year streak since until this year and I haven't killed one.

Daman

Basser69

Browning A-5 with a 28" full fixed choke. I shot him at about 5 steps in self-defense. He wanted some lovin and it was not going to be with me!